Author Topic: Where to buy sinew for backing?  (Read 993 times)

Offline eastcreekarchery

Where to buy sinew for backing?
« on: October 30, 2020, 09:12:54 am »
Anyone have a recommendation?

Offline DC

Re: Where to buy sinew for backing?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 09:42:08 am »
You can trade for it on the "Trading Post". You can get it from Vietnam. If you are lucky and really check it out sometimes you can find it in the Dog Chew aisle. You have to make sure it says "air dried". Most of it is oven dried and it useless. Try your local game processors or butchers.

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 09:42:22 am »
dude go to a deer processor and they will literally give you all you need for free....if you explain you want to rear leg tendons you can cut them out or the silver skin on backstraps... they throw that stuff away... I went to my processor and they were grinding the silver skin in the burger.. I said dude.. that stuff is primitive fiberglass... full of glue.. hahaha.. should of seen his eyes pop wide open...  gut

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 09:47:42 am »
Ah ok ill take a look to see if there’re any processors nearby. Any websites u recommend in case there isnt one nearby? Or is it not worth it?

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 10:03:53 am »
well ,free is way better haha.. and there is tons of it for free... pinehollowlongbows sells it ... you still have to process it even then... you could cut the tendons off road kill too.. back strap sinew I use for hafting points on arrows, sewing,  building strings and such... leg tendons is what I use for backing... let dry hard pound on a flat surface with a hammerstone or hammer.. must be flat or you can cut your tendons.. and strip to small fibers.. bundle your fibers in length piles of same.. store these in a bucket with a lid too... make sure you do more than you will need .. sucks to be processing tendon during a sinew job... probably will need about 10 leg tendons or more... I'd process at least 15 so you have plenty...I start in center of bow and run sinew end to end... then lay out from there staggering tendons like bricks covering the end to end layer...... fill in any dips .. two courses is fine 3 even better ...  gut

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 10:07:28 am »
Thanks for the advice! I think ill do a build-a-long thread for this bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 11:13:01 am »
I have some I can spare. Send me a PM and we'll talk about it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mafort

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 12:40:29 pm »
I literally came back just now from my deer processor. Had multiple tubs full of back sinew and leg sinew. It’s only archery and muzzle loader here in kentucky. He said rifle season will have more