Author Topic: Deer Hide and Sinew Harvesting  (Read 3539 times)

Offline mmattockx

Deer Hide and Sinew Harvesting
« on: October 27, 2020, 09:41:17 am »
A couple rookie questions on saving deer hide and harvesting sinew. I have rifle hunted since 2009 and shot/gutted/skinned/butchered a few dozen deer in that time but I have never kept the hide or wanted to harvest the sinew.

1) Any tips or tricks on what to do with the hide to get the best possible rawhide results? I assume the goal is to get as much as possible off in one piece?
2) I am a complete novice with sinew, can anybody point to a video, thread or article(s) on what I want to keep and the best manner to get it off the animal?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Deer Hide and Sinew Harvesting
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 09:57:56 am »
For the hides, stretch them down, flesh side up and scrape the fat and meat off and let them dry. I staple them to a sheet of plywood or string them on a frame. This will preserve them until you are ready to make usable rawhide. If you are only dealing with 1 or 2 you could go ahead and slip the hair off then tack them down to dry.
 Have you searched in out How To section for harvesting sinews?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 10:03:08 am »
And as much as possible, pull the hide of !!! Instead of cutting it off.. and yeah what pat said...

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 10:57:08 am »
Have you searched in out How To section for harvesting sinews?

I have but the search function is very poor and have only found posts from 2009 or older with missing pictures due to the photobucket incident.

Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 11:26:34 am »
Try YouTube
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 09:58:59 am »
removing sinew is pretty simple.. just cut as much tendon off rear leg and let dry.. it will harden yellowish amber... and will stay fine until you process it... I put mine in a lid bucket as anything from dogs to mice love that stuff... as for back strap sinew. I just filet it off backstraps.. scrap any meat off and let dry hard... then put in bucket or process it... as for hides.. if I can't get to fleshing immediately I freeze.. I never salt my hides... when ready I thaw... then flesh till white and clean... and put in a frame to dry.. after dry it will be very tight in frame I dry scrape hair off... many methods to scraping from fresh to wet to dry... I am not a fan of leeching a hide as you bring it to the verge of rotting and have to neutralize it or it will continue to rot and become useless... I watch a video of fresh scraping and it looks like a good way to go.. they guy makes it look so easy.. I doubt I could get that kind of results..hahahaha.... he fleshes fresh ,then flips hide over and shaves hair close ,then scrape remaining hair and grain off... cuts many hours off dry scrape process and never has to worry about rotting hide..  Indians method  .. gut
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 10:13:19 am by gutpile »

gutpile

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 10:02:47 am »
https://youtu.be/2xObw1r6kZc.. hope that works.. it is a very good video and I want to try it soon...so according to Ron he can flesh and de hair and grain a hide in an hour and 7 minutes.... where my dry scrape takes at least 3 hours with framing... maybe 4..  gut
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 10:12:07 am by gutpile »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 10:40:33 am »
Man I love that video, thanks for sharing. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 11:57:10 am »
I think Ken Wee uses a similar method, but I haven't watched him for years.  Ron must have lots of practice!  Great video!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

gutpile

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 12:17:03 pm »
Ron has videos on braining and smoking too.. he does it for a living and has it down to a tee... smokes multiple skins in a smokehouse using punk spruce.. his hides are beautiful...  glad you enjoyed it Pappy... gut