Author Topic: How much can an arrow paradox ?  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Re: How much can an arrow paradox ?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2020, 06:54:07 am »
I did watch a video the other day about thumb release and the guy puts his arrow on the right side of a right handed bow because of the way the string rolls off the opposite direction of a finger release
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2020, 07:15:37 am »
It bends away from the bow because the bow is in the way the other direction.  ::)

No. It is because of finger release and momentum of arrow point, i.e. buckling.

Try to shoot so that there is 5–10 millimeters gap (air) between bow riser and arrow. There will be no contact or interaction between the bow and arrow. You will get quite good arrow flight with different kind of arrows. In fact, that technique could work nice in flight shooting.

Why doesn't the arrow bend up? What happens with a centershot bow? The same forces are in effect, aren't they?

Because there are no vertical forces. The arrow bends always to direction of fingers tips, that is for example difference between mediterranean release and thumb release. With pure centershot bow with release aid the arrow is bending because of buckling but you can not predict the bending direction if net force is zero. The cleaner release (less movement), the better arrow flight, usually. That is why release aids are so good.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 07:28:19 am by Tuomo »

gutpile

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2020, 01:28:03 pm »
a grossly underspined arrow can paradox to the point of breaking... a properly spine arrow shot off hand no shelf should paradox enough to not contact bow .. gut

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2020, 02:21:04 pm »
This has been a fun read.  I have this big old osage stave with what I think will be a big hole right about where the shelf should be and dead center of the stave.  I'm thinking about making a natural shoot-through riser bow out of it with maybe some type of stiff leather rest in the bottom of the hole.  It would be interesting to see if I could actually line the tips up perfectly and make this thing where it will shoot very stiff spined arrows well...because any serious flexing at all would likely result in serious arrow contact.  I mean, the hole will likely be large compared to most holes you see in osage bow limbs, but its not going to be anywhere near the size of void that you see with machined shoot thru risers.