Author Topic: Targets  (Read 18748 times)

Offline DC

Targets
« on: October 28, 2020, 06:14:42 pm »
Do you flight archers ever shoot flight arrows at targets as part of the testing?

Offline avcase

Re: Targets
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 08:24:35 pm »
Are you talking about one of those targets hung high above the floor so that you are shooting up at a proper angle?

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 09:32:17 am »
I'd never heard of that, so no :) I was thinking more just 15-20 yards away to see if the spine was close. Also I wanted to see if anyone said no because they kept breaking arrows.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 10:51:53 am »
I've had some trouble breaking arrows, but I've got a good arrow catcher behind the chrono now.
I have a wire rope with an arrow stop net and I have an old duvet rolled and jammed into a plastic bac with a couple of clips on the top edge that I clip onto the wire, that catches 'em nicely.
i think they should be flying straight ASAP, so it's only the very short range that should snap 'em.
I made the mistake of trying one bare shaft... big mistake, with the balance only just front of centre it nose dived and smashed on the floor.  >:(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 11:14:34 am »
I would dearly like to be out in a field testing arrows but first I have to find one and the middle of a pandemic is not the time to go knocking on farmers doors.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 12:19:41 pm »
I'm not shure where you live, but in a few months lakes will be frozen solid and are a flat as a table.  That's the only chance I have for distance shooting.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 12:31:13 pm »
I'm not shure where you live, but in a few months lakes will be frozen solid and are a flat as a table.  That's the only chance I have for distance shooting.
Don't the points snap off hitting ice?  :o
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 12:44:07 pm »
I have a wire rope with an arrow stop net

Can you describe your arrow stop net in more detail? is it designed to catch arrows with out damaging them or a safety for the garage door if you miss the primary target.

I have been hoping to put together a net type affair that captures arrows with out damage. My thought is multiple layers of a wispy lightweight backing spaced apart might give the arrow a way to decelerate slower than hitting something more dense and massive. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 12:46:13 pm »
If there is snow on top of the ice the arrows are usually fine.  I have had some wooden tips get damaged, but most arrows just stick upright in the snow.  There are only a few days a year when the conditions are perfect, (for example 12" ice, 3" snow, and 55 degrees and sunny) but it is worth the wait.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 02:23:21 pm »
About once every 20 years the lakes freeze enough to skate on.

I'm interested in the arrow net too. The only time I saw it you had to buy too much and it became very pricey.

Offline simk

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 03:15:10 pm »
DC, you can buy the  very special arrow-stop-nets for bow shooting, ...still they're quite/too expensive.
what works well and is cheap are a non woven mats of fibres, like gardeners or waymakers use to prevent weeds from growing. its something like synthetic felt. for strong bows maybe two layers are required.

...i know they stop normal arrows well. never saw one break. but never tried a flight arrow from closer distance  8)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 03:19:13 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

bownarra

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 12:50:55 am »
You can use loads of different materials for a 'net' backstop. The key is having loads of folds - like an open curtain hanging on a rail. If it is too tight it won't stop anything.

Offline willie

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 10:58:13 pm »
You can use loads of different materials for a 'net' backstop. The key is having loads of folds - like an open curtain hanging on a rail. If it is too tight it won't stop anything.
"loads of folds" seems like a good tip. what kind of fabric have you found to work well?

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 12:30:52 pm »
  I wonder how many loosely hanging piles of news paper it would take to stop a light flight arrow traveling about 300 fps.

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 12:48:37 pm »
If there is snow on top of the ice the arrows are usually fine.  I have had some wooden tips get damaged, but most arrows just stick upright in the snow.  There are only a few days a year when the conditions are perfect, (for example 12" ice, 3" snow, and 55 degrees and sunny) but it is worth the wait.

So, being from a warm climate, I know absolutely jack about ice and snow. But.... I remember being taught in school that snow on top of ice is dangerous because it acts like a blanket and let's the ice melt under it. Any truth to this?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others