Author Topic: Question on Bear Fat  (Read 4095 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Question on Bear Fat
« on: November 01, 2020, 05:39:56 pm »
My nephew is a taxidermist, he had a nice fat bear brought in and ask if I wanted the fat, I Said of course, now I have never rendered Bear fat, done my share of Pig and deer tallow but never a bear, I got 18 lbs of fat and rendered it down this weekend,got 11 lbs of grease, it turned out nice and clean but as of this morning it hadn't got solid like Pig and deer does, does it just take a while or does it stay thinner, It's not just a liquid but is still really soft compared  to the other animals I have done. Just wondering if I done something wrong. I just put it in a pan and cooked it off until I had nothing but grease and cracklings left, They were good by the way  ;) then strained it into another big pan. I plan on straining it again through a cheese cloth into smaller containers, just wanting to know if I need to do something else ????
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Question on Bear Fat
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 11:50:39 pm »
Might try rendering with in a water bath!  If nothing else it should white and pretty!  But I've never handled bear fat either! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 08:39:03 am »
Pappy, I have some rendered bear fat and it has stayed a creamy consistency. Mix a little bees wax and some pine pitch and make a good leather dressing and for bows too. I've also heard it makes the best biscuits.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 04:58:34 pm »
At a Earth skills rendezvous I was making buck skin with a mentor and he didn’t have enough vegetable oil for the dressing, so he went and traded for some bear fat... it was liquid. Put some lecithin in it and it made some real soft hides.

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 08:55:59 pm »
Mine is almost liquid at room temperature.  It sets up in the freezer, though.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 03:56:00 am »
It has been in the fridge[not freezer] for a few days now, checked it yesterday and it has set up pretty firm, plan on straining it one more time this weekend  through cheese cloth , put in smaller containers and call it good, thanks for the info. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 10:18:22 am »
At a Earth skills rendezvous I was making buck skin with a mentor and he didn’t have enough vegetable oil for the dressing, so he went and traded for some bear fat... it was liquid. Put some lecithin in it and it made some real soft hides.

-Fox

Oooooh, bear fat for brain-tanning!  Interesting idea.  We are discouraged from using brain these days because CWD is so common, but I might have to try bear fat with some lecithin...or maybe an egg?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 10:54:55 am »
Might use beef or pork brains instead of the wild ones.  Not real primitive, but safer!  Just remember to cook them outside!  They have a stout aroma!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Fox

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 06:33:54 pm »

-Fox

Oooooh, bear fat for brain-tanning!  Interesting idea.  We are discouraged from using brain these days because CWD is so common, but I might have to try bear fat with some lecithin...or maybe an egg?

Yeah works great, lecithin and oil is what I use instead of brains. For one deer hide it’s 2 TBS of lecithin, and 3 TBS of oil, mixed up real good in 2 Quart jars of water.

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 07:05:13 am »
Yeah works great, lecithin and oil is what I use instead of brains. For one deer hide it’s 2 TBS of lecithin, and 3 TBS of oil, mixed up real good in 2 Quart jars of water.
-Fox

I will definitely give that a try some time.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 07:44:18 pm »
There's a way to tan without mashed deer brain or weird chemicals and complicated/expensive processes?  Tell us more about it and I'll find some hides!

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 04:40:56 am »
theres lots of ways to tan other than brains or complicated processes.  Egg yolks (I've heard people using the who egg too), mayo is another one ive herd of(have not tried but sounds like it would work). Or you could do more of a pickling with alum and salt mixed with water.(not sure how harsh alum is but i have used this method on rabbit hides.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 08:13:34 am »
Eggs sound very doable.  Should they be used just like brains? I've read how brains are used.

What exactly is the chemical process of tanning? I.e. what do these substances do to the hide?

Thank you,

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 08:32:51 am »
An old Indian told me if you keep rendering it down it gets think and paste like, and is the best boot grease around.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2020, 05:12:54 pm »
I have done mine twice more and strained through cheese cloth, it is thick now like lard once cooled, I got 5 quarts and 3 pints of really nice bear lard I will call it.  :) Thanks
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good