Author Topic: Tanning for beginners  (Read 4776 times)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Tanning for beginners
« on: November 06, 2020, 07:56:46 pm »
It's about deer season now, and I'd like to try making leather.  What is the best way for a beginner to turn a deer hide into decent leather?  I'm not keen to handle brain yet, and I have little capital for the project.  I feel there must be a catch to every process, or tanned hides wouldn't be so expensive.  I saw something about egg, lecithin, and oil in another topic, how good are these and how should they be applied?

Thanks,

gutpile

Re: Tanning for beginners
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 08:32:11 am »
its not capital that increases the brain tan projects.. its time and labor.. brains are free if you know how to get them.. I got a taxidermist friend who just bags the brains for me.. I supply the bags.. all he does is dump them in and freeze.. you can use any of the above... there is no simple way.. its is worth the effort I guarantee you that... gut

Offline Fox

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 10:20:15 am »
So... I could explain the method I learned.... but get the book “deerskin into buckskin” you will likely be able to make a very nice first hide if you get and read that book.... I use a method similar to the one in that book just a bit of a variation...the first thing I do is flesh the hide, (removing muscle and fat from it). Second,  you make a bucking salutation, which is a lot of ashes in water and you know when it’s strong enough if an egg floats just barely on top, it’s too strong if the egg is way out of the water. After you make the bucking salutation you put your hide in it for 2-5 days ( I usually do 5). Now you grain the hide, which is removing the fur and the layer under the fur (the epidermis) this is hard work and takes a few hours, and really is hard to tell what’s going on...the book would explain this more in-depth. After its grained you leave it in creek to rinse overnight (very important you use a creek). Then you take the membrane off which the stuff under the flesh on the flesh side. And now this is where the method I use varies from the book, at this point I put the hide in bark tannins you can use oak other bark and leaves to make this and there is more online about this.... you leave the hide in the tannins for probly like just a hour or so. And then you ring the hide out to the correct moister content, and now you add the emulsified oil brains or eggs or all kinds of other things... but I just use lecithin and any kind of oil. And after you soak them in that salutation overnight, you stretch them every ten minutes or so until it’s dry ! The thing that I do differently from the book is I don’t smoke them I put them in the tannins instead, this is to preserve the hide... but really there’s a lot I didn’t explain... get the book...

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Fox

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 10:26:21 am »
Oh and it’s 2 TBs lecithin and 3 Tbs oil in 2 quirts of water.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 12:21:01 pm »
As Fox said, do some research first.  You can also dry scrape the hair side, or tan with the hair on.  If you don't use brains, it is just tanning.  The purpose of smoking is to set the oils, and help soften and let the stay soft if it gets wet.  It is a lot of work any way you do it, but the end result makes it worth while.  You can get beef or pork brains from a butcher or processor.  Cook them outside!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 03:02:12 pm »
Thanks for your comments.
This post is my research so far.  I'm not concerned about whether it's technically brain tanned, I just want to make durable, water proof, non-stinky leather out of rawhide.

@Fox, how do you soak a hide in less than 3 quarts of liquid? or do you just rub this solution in on both sides?

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 08:32:44 pm »
Unless your doing a real monster buck or something you should be able to soak most sized deer hides in 2 quirts of water... if your worried about it or your hide is too big just double or triple the recipe...

Offline Fox

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 08:36:04 pm »
ive also heard of people using neets foot oil (or however you spell that) all you need really for the softening process is an  emulsified  oil of some sort. although how you handle the hide before the actually oiling part will effect the softness and durability

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 12:19:38 am »
Whatever works best for you!  I have seen a recipe for tanning with sourdough starter in the Special Forces training, but never tried it!  I think the end result of soft leather that stays soft after being wet is the key.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 06:21:31 am »
Yea, soft leather is what I want, or maybe something stiff enough for a quiver.  There are so many ideas out there that I have a hard time believing they all work well.  Clearly brains work, but why isn't stuff like eggs and oil used as much?  I guess I'll find out! 

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 07:24:57 am »
tradcraftsman, first brains are free, second brains are like self bows compared to say compounds vs other tanning ingredients, tanned leather either braintanned or commercial is never waterproof, maybe water resistant but never water proof. Your leather will only get as soft as the amount of work you are willing to put forth. Soft buttery leather is all about labor, but well worth it. Bob

gutpile

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 08:27:23 am »
stiffen a quiver with a stick of cane... I dont cook my brains... when you make a brain slurry ..I whip brains in a blender with a lil water added.. they will be frothy pink....then I add water to pot with brains..  now I heat my brains..not cook... on stove till they turn a grayish color... doesn't take long at all.. do not boil... you don't want to cook oils out of the brains.. just hot too touch ... I'll let that cool some before I sink my rawhide in the brains... you can literally cook your skin if too hot.. it will wrinkle immediately ... only needs about 7 minutes to cool enough... I like my brains as hot as I can get them without cooking skin when I sink the rawhide in the brain soup first.. Ill wring and soak about 6 or 7 times.  when wringing when you get big air bubbles coming out of skin you are getting it done right.. the penetration is happening like you need...of course this is hair off ... gut

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 11:08:11 am »
Gutpile, I have cooked a few hides with to hot of brains :(, It sure didn't take long. Lesson learned :o Bob

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 11:38:33 am »
tradcraftsman, first brains are free, second brains are like self bows compared to say compounds vs other tanning ingredients, tanned leather either braintanned or commercial is never waterproof, maybe water resistant but never water proof. Your leather will only get as soft as the amount of work you are willing to put forth. Soft buttery leather is all about labor, but well worth it. Bob

What do you mean in the first line?  I know leather isn't water proof, I guess I should have said water resistant.  Basically I want it to clearly not be rawhide anymore.  If buttery leather is made by working it in, then it must be relatively easy to make stuff for a quiver that can hold its own shape.  I have half a mind to leave the hair on, it's easier and looks just as good.

gutpile

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 01:15:43 pm »
brains are like selfbows... well, brains are all natural... you can get them free.. and they work as good if not better than anything else you may buy... I wear gloves when I use brains.. no big deal.. brains have all the ingredients to tan your hide as with any other egg, lecithin , or tanning solution... we are on a PRIMITIVE site... so basically if you want to tan primitive brains is what you use... its pretty simple even a caveman can do it... LOL..so with making a quiver.. I assume you mean a plains style quiver.. you just use a stick I use cane to give one side support.. the rest wraps around the cane or sewed to your skin... this gives the quiver a open shape for arrows... no it will not stand up on its own... with that type of quiver you will need thick cowhide leather with a sewed in bottom and still a stick or cane on one side.. it will be noisy also.. the beauty of the plains style is silence... especially with wood or cane arrows and the arrows won't fall out even when tipped upside down. it can be worn on front of body or side and out of your bows string so you can shoot with it there... even pull arrow out of quiver and load on bow with the utmost stealth .. can't do that with a back quiver you will flag a deer 100 yards away... you can wear a plains quiver on your back also .. I do when I am stalking sometimes... check out a plains Indian quiver.. IMO best quiver ever... Indians knew what they were doing.... .gut
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 01:25:03 pm by gutpile »