Author Topic: Weird Bowfishing Spool for Deer?  (Read 3772 times)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Weird Bowfishing Spool for Deer?
« on: February 02, 2021, 01:23:39 pm »
I found this string tracking devise advertised on 3rivers archery.  It is basically a bowfishing spool tied to your hunting arrow to help you find lost game.  Is this as silly as it sounds?

Offline sleek

Re: Weird Bowfishing Spool for Deer?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 01:49:46 pm »
I've always liked the idea. What sounds silly about it?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 02:06:33 pm »
The string will slow down the arrow to soon, It can get tangled and broken in brush, and isn't nearly long enough for anything but a very lethal shot.  I would not want my bow tied to a wounded deer.

There's probably a reason I've never heard of anyone using one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 03:58:29 pm »
Lots of folks use them especially for turkey hunting. It's been around for quite a few years now so it must be effective.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 04:58:35 pm »
I don't like the idea of using it on a deer.. Omnivore's homestead on you tube have videos of using it on deer and pigs down in Florida. Seems to work fine. Admittedly if i tried it i might love it, just haven't earnestly considered getting it because I don't want it.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 05:54:33 pm »
Ok then, good to know.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 09:33:10 am »
I used one long ago, they work OK if the woods are clean. They had a snap off plastic fitting to put on your arrow that had a straightened fish hook in it that would imbed in the deer if your arrow passed through and broke off, the line was attach to the fish hook.

I shot one deer with a tracker string, I was shooting wheels and sights and found no trajectory difference to 20 yard but the arrow slowed down quickly after that. On the deer I shot the string made it most of the way to the deer but broke off on a bush about 15 yards from the dead deer.

I wouldn't use one today, my tracking skills have improved over the years and I seldom loose a deer now.