Author Topic: Matching arrows for self bow  (Read 4937 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Matching arrows for self bow
« on: November 10, 2020, 06:58:17 am »
Is it possible to find what arrow spine you need for a none center shot self bow? Or do you basically have to order test spines and go from there. I wanna get arrows made for me the first time but I don't wanna buy a bunch I can't use
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Matching arrows for self bow
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 07:42:04 am »
A general rule of thumb for selfbows is about 10# less than the draw weight. From that point you can adjust that with arrow length and point weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 12:50:10 pm »
Ok thanks Pat

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 09:57:21 am »
To elaborate on Pat's answer, it's a lot cheaper to start with an arrow that is waaayy too long and chop off an inch at a time (even half inches as you get dialed in).  For every inch shorter, you gain about 5 lbs of spine.  So if you have a 28" draw and leave an inch for broadhead clearance, you still can cover 15 lbs. of spine range if you start at 32 inches.  If you draw 27" on a good day like me, you have even more options...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 10:51:31 am »
Just remember that a 50# spined shaft is for a 28" arrow with a 125gr head so a 32", 50# spined arrow with a 125gr head will shoot like a 30# spined arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 06:11:26 pm »
Does anyone make arrows longer than 32 inches? Heavier heads act like lighter spine and light heads act like heavier spine correct?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 09:08:47 pm »
Yes

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 09:05:23 pm »
3rivers has test kits that has different splines.
I went the more difficult way. But I have learned a lot and I’m still learning. The closest affordable thing I could find locally were buck busters by victory. 350 spline, 31-1/2” long. Not suitable for a 40 lb self bow at all. Through trial and error I found if I replaced the insert with a 100 gr and added a 200 gr field tip these shot very well. When I put a 200 gr broadhead on they went to crap. I cut the 2” blazer vanes off and put on 4” feathers. That fixed the broadhead problem.
What I like about these arrows is that I hold directly below the target. While I have several arrows that group very well I have to hold off to the right a little. I don’t like that.

This week I was shooting some cane arrows I made with inserts glued in the end. I had field tips from 100 to 250 gr. By changing tips there was about a 3’ swing side to side. Once I found what tip shot closest to my point of aim I left it. Next I’ll try matching the broadhead to the field tip weight and see what happens.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 05:53:00 am »
That sounds like a tough match. Were the victories carbon?

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 07:39:52 am »
Yes they are carbon

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 07:56:11 am »
I want to use wooden arrows so I can self nock and use flint knapped arrow heads

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 08:31:12 am »
Have you tried using 5/16 poplar Dow rod. They shoot pretty good for me in my 40 lb bows. I don’t have a spine tester so I just make them and shot them. I sort them by what groups together

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 08:37:29 am »
I haven't tried making any yet, still working on my bow

gutpile

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 10:06:29 am »
what is your poundage you are pulling at full draw? you will want a lil lighter spine to get enough flex upon release to bend around bow...most knapped heads are fairly light 75 to 95 grains too... they get bulky when trying to get them heavier... gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 10:29:21 am »
Gut, that's why I add extra length to my arrows, 30" for my 26" draw and probably why you add foreshafts. With hardwood shoots and cane the natural taper helps with the weight forward too.