Author Topic: Newbie Intro  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Packgoat

Newbie Intro
« on: November 13, 2020, 11:33:14 am »
Hi All,

I hope everyone is safe and healthy!  I have wanted to build a bow for years and 2020 has seemed to slow life down a bit.  My name is Marcus and I reside in Washington State with my large family.  I’ve archery hunted for years and now I’m looking to try something new.  I lived in Alaska for a couple years and was fortunate to harvest moose, caribou and a Kodiak brown bear.  I’m looking forward to bow building and was hoping for a little advice to get started.

On my property, I have Mulberry, Russian Olive, Apricot and Peach.  I would like to start the seasoning process on some staves but I’m not sure of the correct method.  I figure I can cut some logs while I research bow building during the next year or so.  Some say to cut and leave lay for a day, some remove the bark and seal the ends.  I just want to do it correctly so I have workable wood in the future.

I appreciate your insight,
Marcus

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Newbie Intro
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 12:09:31 pm »
Welcome to PA, Packgoat!  There is a wealth of experience and knowledge here!  The other folks, not me so much  (lol)!  Not sure about the Russian Olive, but the fruit woods are good.
Hhawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Packgoat

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 12:38:36 pm »
Thanks Hawkdancer!

I have my eye set on the apricot :)

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 01:10:59 pm »
Welcome Marcus! Looking forward to seeing your work. The only trees you mentioned that I can say from experience makes a good bow is mulberry, but as was said earlier, most fruit trees will make a bow. If you have mulberry big enough to treat like Osage or black locust it will be a better bow, but you can use the sapwood for the back. If you can use the heartwood, my opinion is to split the staves, get the bark and sapwood off, seal the back with shellac and ends with titebond. I would reduce one or two staves to close to bow dimensions and seal the handle fade area where it is cross grain exposed to limit checking there, you can work with those staves in a couple months while the rest season naturally.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 01:15:19 pm »
Welcome Packgoat. Are you the head billy?  ;D
 What kind of mulberry? Mulberry is a very good bow wood. You can cut it now, split it in half, seal the ends and get it under cover and off the ground. After a month or so you can split it down to staves and remove the bark and seal the back well. You could also remove the sapwood. You can build bows using heartwood and sapwood but the heartwood is best.
 For the peach and apricot I'd wait until next growing season so you can just peel the bark off reviling a pristine back. If you cut it now, during the dormant season the bark will be a bear to get off.
Not sure about Russian olive but I believe some folks have built acceptable bows with it.
 Don't forget to post pics, we love pics and don't forget to ask any questions you may have.  :OK
 I agree with what Morgan said too. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 01:55:41 pm »
Pat hit nail on the head about cutting in winter... do it early summer or late spring...mulberry white or red... red is better than white... you need to build mulberry like osage but go wider or it will fret... you could cut mulberry now since you will be probably removing to heartwood..but sapwood is good on mulberry.. welcome ... you will find knowledge needed .. gut

Offline Packgoat

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 03:44:55 pm »
Thanks All!

Great info!  I will have to research the Mulberry I have.

I appreciate the help!

Offline HH~

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 04:05:30 pm »
Welcome.
If you can get on the west side of WA you get some yew and vine maple. Lots there to cut.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 05:05:08 pm »
Welcome! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 05:58:08 pm »
All good advice packgoat. Good Luck and don’t hesitate to ask questions along the way.

Welcome to Paa
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 06:27:32 pm »
Welcome...and get ready to get hooked, obsessed, etc.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 10:17:05 am »
never made a bow out of apricot or peach but handled tons of both and never had the impression they can be good
I' stay with mulberry

Offline druid

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 12:10:50 pm »
Welcome, mate. I envy you for living country. 😍 You have top species for bows. Hard to dry but great about mechanical properties.

bownarra

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 12:41:55 pm »
Yes i'll add that the different advice regarding cutting/drying etc is because a different woods need treating differently due to their differing properties.
I'd cut some staves of your apricot and peach. Seal the ends and leave to dry slowly. Cut some mulberry and reduce those staves down to floor tiller. Research how to quick dry if you want a bow quickly. Just get to making shavings and bending something :)
Of course you could buy some maple boards or similar to practise tillering on. These are much better/easier to learn on because you are starting with no character! Even staves that look perfect in the tree can be entirely different once split and bark removed.
Good luck.
Also get yourself the Traditional Bowyers Bible books. They will give you a great start.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 12:59:29 pm »
Are you in the interior of Wash or the coast? If you are in the interior you are going to have to be way more anal about drying woods. Consider wrapping the staves with something to slow down the moisture loss. If you use plastic you have to monitor it every day for the first month or so to stop mildew. Gets to be pain but it works. I'm thinking that maybe a layer or two of cloth, just to slow the airflow, may help. You still have to coat the ends and back with glue or shellac or something.