Author Topic: Bark tanning????  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

Bark tanning????
« on: November 15, 2020, 04:32:38 am »
traditionally its my understanding that bark tanning is done with the grain on a hide and then the oils loosen the hide up to make it somewhat flexable.but the grain is what keeps it more stiff then let's say buckskin. So I'm wondering can you bark tan a hide that has had the grain removed? And treat it like buckskin in the way you work it till its dry?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Bark tanning????
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 05:50:12 am »
Never done bark tanning but I would think so, I have heard and read it takes a long while to bark tan, like a week or 2 maybe more in the solution. :) Try it and let us know what you used and how it came out. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 10:54:04 am »
I did a bunch of reading and video watching on bark tanning since o plan on doing this with my deer and squirrel hides from this year. From what I came across, you sure can without the grain. It just makes for a softer less water resistance leather. Though the oil you decide to use if the hide makes a difference too. Like tallows make a more firm leather and thinner oils like emulsified egg yoke is softer.

I havnt tried it yet, but this is what I came across.

Kyle

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 12:11:55 pm »
How does this process work?  Do you just leave a cleaned hide in water with hemlock bark for a few weeks, or is there more to it?
What do you mean by grain?

Thanks,