Author Topic: First finished bow in 3 years! 30# @ 26" hickory board bow for my girlfriend  (Read 1975 times)

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors

I'm hooked again.

For a variety of reason I've taken a break from bow building, but circumstances made it necessary for me to get building again.

Most importantly, the lady needed a bow. I started to teach her to shoot only back in August, but she started to pick it up quickly and without a lot of hand-holding, or need for constant corrections or extra teaching. She's a natural.

At first I had her shooting a bow I've had for a few years, ~35# @ 29" (so ~29# at 26"). A comfortable bow to shoot, and thankfully right in the right strength range for her. But shooting arrows that were really not the best match -- over-spined and heavy.

She expressed interest in having me build her her own bow -- not even a hint or a nudge, she just straight up said it haha -- and also building some together in the future. Super into that idea. We started by a stop to Menards, and going through some stacks. We picked out a good hickory board, and maybe even a better oak board. And we've already cut some staves, too. Like any of us, she'll probably end up with several bows to choose from in the near future.

The goal wasn't to build a screamer, high performance bow. Just a comfortable, snappy shooter. And I think I've done that. (And also just make sure I still know how to do it, make sure the skills are still there, the tillering eye, etc.)

She said that the weight on the first bow was pretty comfortable, so I aimed for 30# @ 26", and that's right where it came out. Overall length is about 60" -- she's about 5'4" and pulling it 25-26". Still working out form, anchor point, repeatability, etc.

I'm fairly happy with how the bow turned out, but I know I could've done better. It's not my best tiller -- but far from my worst. Thankfully, the work skills are still there (and maybe more polished than ever, and more patient), and the tillering eye is working.

I was very happy with how the "final" tiller looked on the tree -- but during shoot-in a bit of a weak spot (not a full-on hinge) appeared toward the outer lower limb. I migrated the bend upward some, but I can still kind of see it. I'm not actually worried about it, but I will keep an eye on it for frets, developing tons of set there, etc. For now, it seems stable -- not getting worse, just staying the same. And that's good. Thankfully, I don't think the wood is highly stressed.

I would have liked to have gotten the inner limbs bending a little more too. Seems a little more whipped than I'd like.

During the heat-treatment about mid-way through tillering I put in ~1.5" of simple reflex, and the limbs are settled very close to completely straight. Tiny bit of follow when first unstrung. The wood would've been happy being a 40# bow, so I know it's not stressed to the max or anything.

Anyways, pushing the bowyer in me aside and forgetting about what I could've done better -- she's happy, therefore I'm happy. It will be a great bow for her to continue learning on. And I'm not ashamed to admit, watching her shoot it for the first time, I was overflowing with happiness and pride, watching her shoot a bow I made, with arrows I made. Seeing her smile -- and also go very quickly into "serious mode," trying to shoot better.

Offline MM2

Congratulation! I like this type of bow. Simple, natural and efficient. I like it!

Thanks for sharing!

Michael

bownarra

Nice story to go along with a nice bow. :)
'She's happy....i'm happy' :)
Maybe a little more bend inner limbs with the pyramid  (?) taper would've been good but at least the way you did it makes for a very gentle in the hand bow.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
Maybe a little more bend inner limbs with the pyramid  (?) taper would've been good but at least the way you did it makes for a very gentle in the hand bow.

The limbs are parallel about a third of the way down, then a pretty even taper to the tips from there. It's not as far off as I might be making it sound.

Honestly, I'm just a bit rusty. Overall I feel like it was a good build process, and good one for the first bow "back." It looks and feels nice! I would've just liked a slightly different tiller to make it "perfect," myself.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Very nicely done! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Morgan

I think you did a great job. Awesome that she shares the interest with you.

Offline PaSteve

Very nice bow with an even better story. The fact that she enjoys archery with a bow you made for her makes for a great way to spend time together.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Somehow I’m guessing it won’t be three years till you finish another one. Well done and sounds like you found a keeper to me. Good Luck with everything.

I agree with your tillering eye. Not perfect but not to bad. Just a bit more bend in the inners.

Look forward to seeing what the two of you come up with in the not to distant future.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
Somehow I’m guessing it won’t be three years till you finish another one.

Definitely not! Someone needs a new target bow *and* a hunting bow. And I've got a pile of staves I need to whittle down. Should keep me busy this winter.

Definitely found a keeper. She's a good one.

Offline RyanY

I’m not seeing the tiller flaw. I think it looks just about perfect. Very well done. I love that style of bow. I would say it is probably high performance for a straight longbow. Thanks for sharing. I hope we don’t have to wait 3 years to see more of you work!

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
Well, just what my eyes see....

IMO the top limb is just about where I want it. Maybe I'd like the inner third to work a touch more.

Bottom limb is bending just a bit much a little past mid-limb.

That said: I'll take the compliments! I agree it's not far off, and I'm probably being nitpicky.

Offline Hawkdancer

Nice work!  Definitely get her to working the wood!  When you find a keeper, keep her!  Congratulations on both!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline barebo

The bow looks great and your gal has good shooting form and judging by that group in the bag the bow and her seem to be getting along just fine! Great to see you're getting back into it.

Offline Woody roberts

I like the bow. Seems like anytime I get one of those fun to play around bows of 25/30 lb I end up giving them away. Someday I’m gonna make a 35 lb just to stump with.

My quiver looks almost identical to yours. Old pants leg. I do have an oblong piece of leather hot glued in the bottom. It has a 1” piece of blue foam glued to it since I had a broadhead go through the leather.

Keep up the good work and hang on to that girl.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Nice job man
In the woods I find my peace