Author Topic: osage staves..  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Fox

osage staves..
« on: November 17, 2020, 08:38:05 pm »
having some issues with the little osage I have... so the first pictures are of a bow I've already ruffed out which I'm going to sinew back... the problem is this knot right at the tip... id like to cut 2.5 inches of each end to make it 60" but that will make the knot in a even more awkward... if I cut it shorter the bow would only be around 56" long which seems real short... and while recurving it, it splintered at that knot. what should I do?

and the second set of pictures were not sure how to lay a bow out around these knots or even if its possible... she is going for 60" bendy handle and 26"@40.... any ideas on how to avoid these knots would be much appreciated...thanks

Fox-

Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

and the second questions photos...

Why must we make simple things so complicated?

bownarra

Re: osage staves..
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 11:53:11 pm »
With the placement of that big knot right at the tip the only option in my eyes is to cut it off. Left in it would make the tips far too heavy. Personally I would cut the knot off the tip and splice in some levers to make it more like 66". Then continue :)
Those big knots angling through the stave are not good. Did you buy these staves? If so the person who sold them wasn't exactly a 'stand up' fella....beware that a lot of people sell poor staves on the interent. It takes a good eye from the buyer or an honest seller to get good staves nowadays. I've seen lots for sale that I wouldn't even consider.
Also don't try and recurve right next to a knot. You want super straight grain (if possible!) to bend in recurves. Bend them at 1/2" thick/ 1" wide and boil them under water for 30 mins. Chase a ring on the belly side so that you have continous fibers to take the tension when bending it. Round the belly corners well.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 06:42:22 am »
Those are seriously ugly staves. It would never have occurred to me to turn either of them into bows. Do you have access to others that are cleaner?

Offline Fox

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 09:18:46 am »
Alright thanks bownarra that makes sense on the chasing a belly ring before bending... I am going for a more primitive bow and don’t really want splices though...

Eric.. yeah there pretty ugly but they are all I have, I did not buy them, a friend of a friend had a tree he was cutting, and he brought it to me... first full sized log I’ve had to work... but yeah pretty ugly...

-Fox

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 10:10:01 am »
free stave is the way to go! looks like you are gaining even more experience by going for it, hope she turns out for you

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 01:36:14 pm »
if you want primitive,, dont recurve the tips and take a chance of breaking,, just try to get a bow out of it,
the difference between recurving and a good straight tip, may not be that much in performance,, or worth the risk of ruining the stave,,
cut the knots as suggested,, and the bow is long enough at 56 with with your 26 draw,, rawhide back or sinew back,,
you are limited,,, what you want and what the stave will give are two different things,, make the best bow you can,
if you want longer splicing is better than the knot,, if you dont want to back it, it will probably make a bow,, but you increase your odds of success with backing,, when making the bow shorter in relation to the draw length,, if you say you dont want to back ok,, but you are forwarned,,

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 05:30:54 pm »
Thanks bradsmith... I planned on sinewing it from the start.

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 06:18:18 pm »
You can always cut the “good” pieces from each stave and splice them together. There's plenty of info on here showing how to do it.
H

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 12:33:08 am »
By the time recurves were invented splicing was too :)