Author Topic: Very old longbow and arrows  (Read 1350 times)

Offline BrianS

Very old longbow and arrows
« on: November 17, 2020, 09:01:25 am »
Hi Everyone,
I acquired this old longbow and arrows. I do not know much about it and was hoping to learn more about it. Would love to find out how old it is and maybe a little history about it. I am guessing maybe from the 1920s but that is just a guess. I think it may be Yew? But to tell the truth I do not know. Here is a link to a video showing the bow and the arrows.
Take care,
Brian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrWDgB7H6KA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Very old longbow and arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 11:27:28 am »
Brian, could this bow be lemonwood. I didn't notice if it has a sapwood back or just the backing over the heartwood. If it does have white sapwood it is probably yew but if not it could easily be lemonwood which was a very common bow wood back in the day. Can you see any grain along the sides? Yew would have visible grain lines, lemonwood, being a tropical hardwood, probably not.
I'd say probable anywhere between the 1920s to the 1940s.
 If you want to shoot the bow you will have to reeducate the wood to bend and recover. Start out with a very low brace, maybe 1" to 2" and let it sit for a while like that then slowly draw it a few inches and let it down. Do this for a while then draw a little farther. Slowly increase the brace height and exercise until at full brace then let it sit for a while. I think I'd do this over a period of a few days, unbracing at the end of each session. It also looked like one of the horn nocks has a crack in it. I'd be very careful about that, maybe replace it before using.
 The other option is to leave it just as it is and enjoy it as a part of archery history.  :OK
 Are there any markings on the bow itself? They should be near the handle on the back, belly or sides.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 01:54:20 pm »
It does look like Yew and it could be backed, although the backing would seem to be quite thin.  Perhaps clarified calf skin???
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BrianS

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 05:28:10 pm »
Pat and Marc,
Thank you for the info.
Brian

Offline Strelets

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 03:57:30 am »
The backing looks very like hickory. I agree with the comment on Youtube that the bow is probably 1930s or 40s, possibly early 50s.