Author Topic: Fresh cut osage care??  (Read 2210 times)

Offline TimBo

Re: Fresh cut osage care??
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2020, 09:40:39 pm »
Even if you don't chase a ring perfectly now, it still saves a bunch of time later (that's why you don't aim for the one you want to use, but at least one above it). 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2020, 10:04:10 pm »
Almost all my osage has the bark and sapwood removed green, no checks or bugs.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2020, 09:15:07 pm »
There's a few different reasons, but the big one is because it's got to come off anyway, and it comes off a lot easier when its fresh cut.

The best case scenario to dealing with an osage log, in my opinion is to get the log split in the first day or two, then work steady at getting the bark and sapwood off them all, brought quickly to one heartwood growth ring, typically being one above the future bow's back. Sealing the backs as you go. As soon as that's done, I start removing excess belly wood, trim the staves to about 2 or 2.5" wide, 3/4" thick in limb areas, and if they need any corrections or I want to add reflex, I steam them and clamp them to a caul. Let it sit for a day or two, then do another one. I do this until they're all done.

They take up a lot less space this way, dry faster, with less chance of bugs, twisting, warping, etc. It's a lot of work, that's why I try to plan it so I have the time available in the coming days and weeks to deal with them properly.
You steam unseasoned wood? Won't that make it crack for sure?