Author Topic: Ojam or Mojam?  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Muleman

Ojam or Mojam?
« on: November 18, 2020, 11:24:04 pm »
i want to go to both but cant take off that much vacation to go to both so which one will benefit a novice bowbuilder most,im closer to ojam but either is a good days drive so thats kinda a draw,thoughts??thanks Mule.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Ojam or Mojam?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 12:08:30 am »
Haven't made OJAM, but had a good time at MoJam both years - lots of bow making, shooting, set range, flight, running boar, good number of traders, potluck, probably more than 100 camps, and real friendly folks!  Btw, it is a 2 day push for me!  But downhill all the way!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 06:17:06 am »
Been to both. Both are great and both have folks eager to help you. I found a better stave selection  at ojam but mojam is less structured and more laid back. I hate it that I can’t make both every year. Tough decision . Flip a coin you won’t be disappointed with either. Then there is the Tennessee classic. All are great. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 07:44:25 pm »
And don’t forget Marshall Michigan meet to.

I haven’t been to MOJAM or OJam. I’m sure they are both good. I want to. I know a bunch of the MOJAM guys and they are really good people.

Like Arvin says. Flip a coin. Any of them you go to your gonna meet really good people.

Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 08:18:26 pm »
MoJam is very good and we do have a schedule, but you can pick what you want...bow making, knapping, shooting, or just sitting around visiting old friends...and it lasts as long as you want to stay up at night...we do LOTS of shooting on the lighted target range well after midnight.  OJam is good for learning to make a selfbow or bamboo backed bow, and they have a very structured/timed schedule, to insure that you get a bow made while you're they.  It's pretty much a daylight event, with very little happening at night.  The Tenn. Classic is good for bow making, and the best 3D shoot I've ever seen.  I attend all 3 and they are all about 7 hour drives from my farm.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 09:32:44 pm »
Yes I have heard good things about Marshall and have been to Hawkeye. They all have there strong points. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 11:30:12 pm »
I would like to make both Marshalls next year, but?  Jacie has a new day job, and there is a bit of a limit on travel time available, as well a small matter of the current pandemic.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 04:44:31 am »
Covid will still be around so I bet it gets canceled again anyway
In the woods I find my peace

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 01:54:19 pm »
Ojam has courses where they teach you via watching them. Their insurance won't let you use thir tools. and there is no area to build other than your camp site. Mojam has an entire pavilion dedicated to bow making and if you want to learn hands on, Mojam is the spot. Ojam is a fun hang out event with friends etc, but as far as bow making events go, Mojam does it right.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 11:19:25 pm »
Maybe by next summer, we can all get vaccinated!  MoJam is an outdoor event!  The only time I was undercover was in my tent!  But safe is better than sorry with this thing.  Being at risk, I don't want to get it!!  As a medic with a degree in health, I think I will listen to the experts in medicine and health.
Hawkdancer
Jerry