Author Topic: First timer needs help with pin knot  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Walski

First timer needs help with pin knot
« on: November 22, 2020, 08:47:11 pm »
First time building a bow, and I have a pin knot on the lower limb, that I am worried about.    Should I drill out this knot and fill it with epoxy, or leave it alone?

Offline meanewood

Re: First timer needs help with pin knot
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 12:43:10 am »
I take it, that's yew?

I don't think it's an issue but if you really want to take every precaution, pick out any soft rotten wood until it gets too hard and then fill with epoxy.

Leave the back (Sapwood) as is.

Offline simk

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 03:38:16 am »
I've always filled them with epoxy or a dowel and never had a problem...
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 04:23:30 am »
What they said!  :)
Leave the back... pick out any loose stuff from the belly, dig in hard and make sure you are down to sound wood. It may come right through to the back as a tiny hole... which is quite handy, as you'll be able to see the epoxy /yew dust mix squeeze out :)
If it's a big hole, whittle a Yew plug and glue it in with epoxy mixed with yew dust.
Smaller holes can be filled with epoxy and Yew dust, I put a little in first and make sure it's pushed well in to wet the surfaces, then I mix more dust to make a dryish mix and tamp it in... as it is tamped in, it sort of becomes wetter and squeezes out the epoxy (if that makes sense).
If you don't fill 'em it can cause a pinch where the manky stuff collapses under compression.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 09:48:14 am »
Excellent limb work for your first one! And nice detail on your photos. You’ve gotten all the advice you need to fix it, but where is the knot located on the bow? If it’s in the handle area, it’s not as critical as it would be in the working limb.
H

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 11:39:13 am »
Be sure to leave the knotted area a little wider. I would also tiller the knotted area just a little stiffer than the rest of the limb...just a little. At least, that is what I always do. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Walski

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 01:11:45 pm »
Thank you all for your help, as I've just started building a bow and find this site as a wealth of information, because of all of you, thanks again and I'll repair the knot as mentioned.

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 02:46:49 pm »
Do as suggested but I don't like the look of it.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 05:26:06 pm »
Walksi, That my friend is not a pin knot. Its more like a fat knitting needle knot ;). Pin knots look like the head of a pin, or small brad and are solid.

Drill and plug as as been suggested. Hopefully you have left it a little wider at that spot too, rather than acting like there was no knot.