Author Topic: Steep steps  (Read 2019 times)

Offline sleek

Steep steps
« on: November 22, 2020, 11:44:10 am »
I keep getting steep steps on both sides of the point, making the edge more like a wedge than a blade. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix that?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Steep steps
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 05:10:23 pm »
If you are getting steps there are several things that can cause it.

1 your edge or platform even material isn’t strong enough. It won’t transfer the shock wave without breaking and stepping.

2 your angle is to steep. It isn’t possible for flake to travel completely through spall so it dives in or steps.

3 your just plain not hitting it hard enough. This can be hard and a bit scary to do.

Other things can be really rough tool that causes to many contact points that  initiate multiple Weak flakes.

Bjrogg

Sleek I’m not a great knapper. I’m pretty much self taught and watched some you tube but that’s what my experience has shown me
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 09:28:48 pm by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 06:29:01 pm »
Sleek, here is a few things that have worked for me
1. Are platforms center or better yet slightly below?
2. make sure the platform is ground and strong.
3. this one took me along time to do just because I was lazy, take time to set up good isolated platforms and don't be shy. HIT IT hard.
Hope this helps, Bob :-T

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 10:48:14 pm »
I dedicated an entire year of knapping to learn how to avoid step fractures. It's not easy.

The biggest challenge for me was my lack of good stone. I recommend trying your technique on high quality flint like Hornstone or Georgetown to see what's going on. If you can't avoid step fracture on that material, you've got to put more aggression into it.

Step fractures are caused by poor quality stone, lack of force, force applied at the wrong angle, or lack of solid contact with the platform as the flake detaches.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr