Author Topic: A heartfelt thank you!  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Morgan

A heartfelt thank you!
« on: November 15, 2020, 06:51:17 pm »
I am sitting here listening to my heat gun hum as it treats the belly of an elm sapling D bow. The HT setup is identical to the setup belonging to Marc St Louis in Tbb vol4. The bow is greatly inspired by those made by forum member Thunder. Several years back I was struggling to make my first bow, and my wife bought me all 4 TBB for my birthday. I immediately had success. I then discovered this forum board and soaked all I could up like a sponge. As I was waiting for my bow belly to toast, I was overcome with a sense of gratitude to everyone for so freely sharing their experience, ideas, criticism, and compliment. I realized that everything that I know about making a bow is because others generously gifted me their knowledge, whether they know it or not. So thank you! This uh “hobby” has meant a very great deal to me, and I would never have had my first success without the help of all those that give so freely.

Offline Eric Garza

Re: A heartfelt thank you!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 07:02:51 pm »
This is indeed an amazing resource. I have learned a lot here over the years too.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 08:04:05 pm »
Second your thoughts

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 08:25:55 pm »
This forum has been a wealth of knowledge I agree!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 12:51:03 am »
AHAA!  The bug has bitten!  Hope to see you at one of the gatherings as soon as this pandemic is allowing!!  Thanks to all who share their knowledge , humor,and advice !
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 08:11:26 am »
I feel exactly the same way.
It might be a little slow around here now. But this site has provided me with so much information. So many good friends. So much inspiration
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 11:34:35 am »
yes much appreciation ,, thanks to all  :)

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 08:07:50 pm »
I have to agree, and say Thanks also. So very many on here willing to help in any way they can. I read more than I comment due to being an amateur, only working (playing) with Osage, but have learned more than I can say from this site. So again, Thank You to all that are so willing to share your hard earned knowledge to help the rest of us shorten the learning curve.  Brian

Offline barebo

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 02:39:18 pm »
I started my first self bow in '99 and it blew in half giving me a nice big belly bruise. Got the TBB vol.1 and the light went on so I can relate 100%! This site has some of the most talented bowyers and artists you'll ever find and the community keeps it civil. That to me is why I frequent even if not posting a lot. Watching the evolution of bows and techniques developed since I joined has been amazing. I'm with you on this - Grateful it exists!

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 04:09:58 pm »
I would like to second those thoughts also. I had been wanting to build my own bow for years. I split me out a hackberry stave and planned on giving it a year to dry. Spring haying season came along and I broke the Pittman rod on my mower. The only suitable wood I had was my bow stave. Looking back I now know there was no chance I could have built a bow with what I knew at the time.
I just finished my 13th bow today and I still have a LOT to learn.
A heartfelt thank you to all of you.