Author Topic: Seductive poise?  (Read 1735 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Seductive poise?
« on: November 25, 2020, 07:33:31 am »
I have a 3-d target behind my house and a tree stand for practice.

Several times I have had it knocked over and wondered if the deer were doing it.  Last week one morning in the dim morning light I saw a deer by it. As the sun came up I could see it was a small buck. He was very interested in the 3-d target. I had to get ready for work but my wife and son continued watching him. He repeatedly mounted the target and eventually knocked it down. He hung around waiting for her to get back up again.  Before I left I stood her back up for him. He trotted off but was looking back at her when I left.

That night she was still standing but the next morning she was knocked down again. I stood her back up and she was knocked down again when I got home.lol

I told several people about it and my brother sent me a picture of a buck one of his clients took. He shot it off a 3-d target in his backyard. Now my buck was just a spike horn and dumb in love.

Not sure what this guys excuse was. As my brother said he really should have known  better.
He also said that maybe I needed a less seductive target.lol

Crazy. Don’t know if I would have believed it if I hadn’t seen it

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Seductive poise?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 07:46:15 am »
This button head had love on his mind in my backyard a few years ago.

Offline HH~

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 08:15:57 am »
You been huntin yet BJ?

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 08:30:13 am »
BJ, a deer's version of a blow-up doll.  :fp
Eric, looks like he knows the difference between a deer and a warthog too.  ;D
 The 3D targets in my yard have become bird and chipmunk condos.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 08:37:02 am »
You been huntin yet BJ?

Shawn~

Very little HH

I went first two days of bow season. Passed opening morning on a doe I kinda wish I had taken now. Got to busy farming to be hunting although I did spend 2 1/2 hours stalking a buck I saw lay down. Was kinda crazy. I very slowly moved straight towards him. I was in plain view the whole time. I had no cover whatsoever. Just a worked field between us. It took me 2 1/2 hours but I managed to get about 30 yards from him without him seeming to notice me. He was comfortable there and every time he started licking himself I could slowly move closer. I did take a shot but he jumped the string. ( he did eventually stand back up as I was trying to stalk him. If I would have had another 2 1/2 hours to get closer I might have got him. I’m not that good of a shot at 30 yards.

It’s gun season here now since the middle of the month but I went out Saturday and sat in a tree. Just me, yew and a stone point to. Had a shot at a fawn but was hoping it’s big momma doe would follow the same path. She’s a smart big old doe. She didn’t take the same path and didn’t give me a shot. It was just starting to get interesting when my stepmom called saying her furnace quit and was leaking water all over the basement floor. I reluctantly climbed out of my tree and went to stop the water from leaking. Hopefully that was some good karma and I get something yet. You just never know.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 08:45:55 am »
BJ, a deer's version of a blow-up doll.  :fp
Eric, looks like he knows the difference between a deer and a warthog too.  ;D
 The 3D targets in my yard have become bird and chipmunk condos.

That’s what my son said Pat.

It’s very interesting. I also have a very beat up buck 3-d target I put in my neglected food plot. It was a very small plot and the deer ate it to the ground. I did have a trail camera there for awhile though. It was very interesting watching how the deer reacted to it. The does would sniff its rear end. Early before the bucks developed their antlers they were fine with it. Later they tried to spar with it. After I took the trail camera down they knocked its head off. Deer would seem very comfortable by it and lay down right alongside it.
Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 10:36:06 am »
I went to an trad archery tournament in West Virginia(ETAR I think) years ago. The night before the tournament was to start a marauding bear went through the course and destroyed quite a few of the 3D targets. Made for an interesting shoot. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 11:24:07 am »
Yes there are some very entertaining you tube videos of 3-d targets and animals.

Fortunately I don’t have any animals that totally destroy my target so far. Most had love on their minds, not hunger.lol

Bjrogg

Offline BrianS

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 12:33:41 pm »
Seen the same thing happen to our 3d targets at the archery club.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 01:46:22 pm »
I've had similar experiences.  Once I caught a medium-sized whitetail trying to get my buck target to spar with him.  Another time we were camping up on the mountain when a dow wandered through our camp.  She spotted the doe target lying on the ground about the same time she heard us moving around.  She would take off a little way, then turn around and grunt at the target ("Come ON!  Don't you hear those people?"), snort, stomp her foot, repeat.  She did this several times before she finally took off for good.  it was pretty funny.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 03:37:34 pm »
I found that putting antlers on my 3D targets was a mistake, the ones with antlers would be roughed up in the morning.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 07:00:16 am »
It’s comical watching the reaction many animals have to decoys and 3-d targets. I haven’t ever hunted turkeys,  but find it fascinating how they react to the decoys on the hunting shows on tv. You think that after they just attacked that decoy surely they know something is wrong and it isn’t real. Then their eyes  and brain seem to convince them it is .

It is also pretty obvious that the deer can not only pick out the 3-d targets that are deer, but also which ones have antlers and which ones don’t.

Bjrogg