Author Topic: Hickory Backing Slats  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Hickory Backing Slats
« on: November 25, 2020, 08:29:47 pm »
I'm looking for hickory backing slats for a purpleheart lam project.  I have a number of different items to trade, feathers and finished arrows to start with, but other stuff as well.  I have had a nice cow horn lying around ...

PM me if you have any backings and let me know what you'd want in return.

Thank you,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory Backing Slats
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 10:18:11 am »
If you can't find them elsewhere I think Mike Yancy at Pine Hollow has them. To ease on shipping have him cut them in half. You can re-join then with a scarf joint at the handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 11:00:15 am »
I saw he sells board staves, but I couldn't find backing strips, and I'm not shure about ripping and smoothing lams from a hickory board.  I may want to build a bend through handle, and so may need a single piece.

I did find some 1/8" hickory backings at 3 Rivers Archery.  They cost more per volume, but they are already a uniform thickness.  I don't expect the same quality, but I've read that hickory can stand a lot of ring violation.  3 Rivers is half a country closer, but the total cost per volume of wood is comparable.

I'm still debating between the two, it will probably come down to whether or not I can get a few good backings out of a 3/4" board with a table saw and rasp.

Thank you,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 01:38:25 pm »
I bought a 5/4" x 6" x 10' hickory board years ago and cut backing strips from the 5/4 side. I first cut the board to 6' with 4' left over and made bow blanks and backing strips from both pieces. I cut the strips to 3/16" and sanded both sides. After the sanding the strips were 1/8" or slightly less.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 05:01:25 pm »
I'm not so good with a table saw.  The best I could safely do would be to rip the board in half along the narrow edge.

I mentioned the backings strips to someone yesterday and I heard hints today, so I think I know what I'll be getting at Christmas, we'll see.

P.s.  I do like Pine Hollow Longbows, I've used his takedown sleeves, sinew, and artificial snakeskin to great effect, it's jut that in some cases I can't quite afford his quality.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 07:35:35 am »
I have cut backing strips from a split stave with my bandsaw, I do have a jointer and would smooth one side and run the stave through my bandsaw against the fence. I would cut multiple strips that would be rough cut. After the first cut I would cut them a little thick and smooth the back and belly on my belt sander or jointer.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 08:35:12 am »
I have none of the above tools.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 10:42:05 am »
You have to be very careful cutting backing strips with a table saw. It can make a dangerous projectile out of a backing strip. If you do use your table saw don't stand or let anyone else on the outgoing side of the saw where the backing strip can be launched.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 11:56:44 am »
You mean kickback?  How can it get launched in the direction it is being pushed?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 12:11:36 pm »
Slats that thin don't get held by the riving knife and the blade is rotating up on the backside of the table - things can go out quite fast.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 12:59:47 pm »
I see, thanks for the tip.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 02:29:25 pm »
Used to have a 1/2” x 2” rectangle hole in my shop wall from just this thing.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 08:31:43 am »
Hey tradcraftsman, I have Hickory slats, pm me if you are still looking  :OK