Author Topic: Hinge correction possibilities  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
Re: Hinge correction possibilities
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2021, 08:02:22 am »
It might be the photo, but outer limbs look stiff for to long, especially the right one. It looks like the last third is perfectly straight.
Don

Offline Zugul

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2021, 10:22:21 am »
I agree with Don, and I also think it could bend a bit more near the fades, to me it seems pretty stiff there too. (but I'm a newbie, so take my words with a pinch of salt  ;))

Offline Daniel

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2021, 03:27:49 pm »
Don, Zugul, I actually made the tips stiff by purpose, I thought that's how it ought to be. I didn't want to end up with a whip tiller. How long should the tips remain stiff?
Tomorrow I will be working on the bow, so I will take some more detailed pictures, as Bowmarra suggested.

Daniel

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2021, 04:05:15 pm »
How long your stiff tips are depends on the design and the taper and I'll be the first to admit I have a lot to learn, but all of mine that work well were 4 or 5". I made one 7" because of a knot and it worked ok.

The right side limb looks a quit a bit longer than that. You definitely don't want a third of the limb I don't think.

No matter what the length, you want them the same on both limbs. The picture seems to show the right a lot stiffer, longer.

I'm working on one right now (it's raining too hard to hunt) that has some knot like features that looks like yours. It started frustrating me so I put it down before I ruined it. It'll have to wait for another day when I have a bit more patience.
Don