Author Topic: What's goin on  (Read 6730 times)

Offline Will Tell

What's goin on
« on: November 26, 2020, 08:51:49 am »
I was shopping at Wallyworld for a seat cushion and noticed that there wasn't any ammo. I mean their wasn't even one box of shells left in any caliber. I'm not a much of a gun hunter but is there something goin on I'm not aware of?

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: What's goin on
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 08:57:43 am »
Welcome to 2020.  My guess is that either people think ammo will be outlawed soon, or stores are afraid mobs will break in and steal it. 
I've heard Walmart has sent their guns and ammo to a central warehouse, they probably just don't want any funny business.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 09:28:04 am »
Google 'ammo shortage of 2020'. With the civil unrest, crazy political hysteria and people having lots of time on their hands due to pandemic shutdowns there has been a serious run on ammo.

I'd say I'm glad I reload for everything I shoot, but even finding components up here is very hard at the moment. Popular calibre rifle bullets are like hens teeth for the most part.

Mark
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 10:05:56 am by Pat B »

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 11:30:09 am »
Seems like we get this sort of "run" every election and period of social unrest!  This has been a strange year!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 11:55:20 am »
Doesn't affect me as i reload everything as well.  I overstocked years ago on components and have recently decided to sell off some of my supplies.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 12:04:58 pm »
I overstocked years ago on components.

I did that as well, but am getting low on a couple of the bullets I use for hunting and am having a hard time finding more.

Mark

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 12:19:29 pm »
Im of the understanding that walmart is looking to get out of gun sales and ammo completely. Thats coming from several Walmart employees through conversation.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BrianS

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 02:04:49 pm »
I have not bought ammo in my home state since Coumo passed an very restrictive law named the safe act. Save what I have and only use it for hunting. At my age, I do not expect to purchase much other than possibly pheasant loads. I feel sorry for folks younger and what the future holds.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 02:28:08 pm »
Seems like we get this sort of "run" every election and period of social unrest!  This has been a strange year!
Hawkdancer

One of the reasons a flintlock has been moved up the ladder on my list of priorities.  Potentially won't be subject to market whims...stump remover is cheap, charcoal can be made, snd I have yet to see a panic buy on sulphur.  ;D
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 01:24:14 am »
Shhhh!  Don't tell the Whiteman!  Just be very careful when mixing those ingredients. Btw, I have the formula somewhere! >:D!  If you have powder and lead, a flintlock is the way to go, most any rock will make sparks if you work it sharp (Ol' Scratch, Titus Bass in "Carry the Wind"). Strange times, indeed!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 07:14:05 am »
I have around 100# of lead, at least 15# of Goex black and enough flints to last a lifetime plus I know how to knap more.

I have stockpiled ammo over the the last few years after the 22 bullet wakeup call a couple of years ago. I don't have much 9mm because I let all the ladies who come over who want to learn to shoot use my Taurus G2C.

Anyway, I have bows, I have flintlocks and enough modern stuff. They may take the modern stuff but I doubt if they will take my flintlocks. If I saw that on the horizon they would all be broken down into an unrecognizable pile of parts, I built them and could do it again with the parts.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 07:22:14 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 07:29:28 am »
A friend of mine works at Wal-Mart he said one of the store's got all there ammo stolen so they pulled it all off the shelves

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 07:58:07 am »
I understand how well the black powder gun works as a survival tool, but yall should maybe consider a pellet gun too. You can carry 500 rounds in your hip pocket, shoot a 22 caliber pellet 1300 fps, and it required no powder at all, and as a result are very quiet. They can take any game smaller than a deer and maybe even a deer too if you had to try. But realistically, you won't be taking much deer in these situations. Squirrel, rabbit, and smaller game are easier harvests. anyways, thats my case I make for a pellet gun, if which I have 3.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 08:07:55 am »
Yes I have made black powder before, it's not that hard to do.  Hard to find potassium nitrate up here now
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 08:29:11 am »
My dad reloads and he's commented on the difficulty of finding components, too. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 08:34:34 am by Pat B »
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour