Author Topic: Dead standing pacific yew tree - seasoning question  (Read 836 times)

Offline rcoen2

Dead standing pacific yew tree - seasoning question
« on: November 29, 2020, 12:58:40 am »
Hi,

Today I found a standing dead pacific yew tree that seems to be fresh enough to still use.   I cut the largest usable section to the first bigger branch, which got me a 80” section 5 inches at the base and 3 inches at the top.  I haven’t made my first bow yet, and am wanting to set this aside to season for at least a year, giving me time to start messing around with bow making before attempting to work this yew, which I’m holding to be quite precious.  I’m hoping to get at least one usable stave out of it, two would be exceptional. 
Question:
Currently I haven’t taken the bark off, or split it and have started to seal the ends with wood glue.  After reading more, I wanted to check in and ask about the best way to season it.  Would it be wise to remove the bark, split, and/or work down.  It sounds like this would lesson the seasoning time... I guess I’m concerned that attempting to season it without taking the bark off, or working down could render the wood unusable due to checking.  Is that a concern? Any advice or thoughts would be gratefully welcomed to help me honor this wood. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 10:40:33 am by rcoen2 »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Dead standing pacific yew tree
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 06:35:17 am »
Saw or split into half, paint the ends... bark removal and treating against bugs depends where you are and the prevalence of bugs.
(Don't believe anyone who tells you that bugs don't eat Yew because it's toxic).
As it was dead standing, it is possible that the sapwood could be compromised by decay*, however that's not the end of the world, as the heart wood should be fine.
Del
* the sapwood should feel smooth and waxy when worked with an edged tool, if it feels at all dry, hard,crumbly, then I wouldn't use the sapwood... boo, or Hickory backed Yew is V good :)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.