Author Topic: Bowyers knot  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Woody roberts

Bowyers knot
« on: November 24, 2020, 04:03:19 pm »
I have a piece of 4” pvc pipe fastened to my 4 wheeler I carry my bow in. I was always having trouble with the string coming off when putting it in or taking it out. One morning I slid it in while still dark. Get over to my stand and all I have is the bow. Drive back to camp and there’s my string where it slid off while loading.
Once the string comes off the bow I loose any twist I’ve put in to get brace height. I have to redo.

A couple weeks ago I made a new Flemish twist string. But on the bottom I just tied a bowyers knot and left it. Now the top loop can’t get off the bow and any twist stays in.
Seems to work very well for me.

Does anyone here do this? Have I read somewhere that many ELBs were set up this way?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bowyers knot
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 05:25:34 pm »
 Woody, I've used a bowyers knot since I started building bows. That is all I use.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 01:18:48 am »
Yes me too it is the best way :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 07:39:06 am »
A string keeper would solve your problem as well.

Here is a very simple one.

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 07:48:03 am »
I like that. When the bow is strung do you put it in your pocket or snug it up on the bow somewhere?

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 08:21:59 am »
This is a bottom limb tip protector. Weighs 18 grains and I haven't noticed any effect on bow performance. Protects lower limb tip from damage & keeps string in place. If it gets wet while hunting simply remove & allow to dry then replace. Works great for me.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline TimBo

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 08:42:48 am »
I like the bowyer's knot on the bottom as well, but even that can slide off - it's always good to check before stringing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 10:29:36 am »
Always check that the string is well attached to each nock after each bracing.   (--)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 10:50:31 am »
talking about string keepers didn't the hedeby bow (or some other bow around the same time period) have a small iron nail in the upper limb to act as a string keeper  ???
that's always a option i suppose  O:)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 11:42:00 am »
You can also drill a small hole at the tip of the upper limb and attach a thread to the hole and the top string eye to hold the string. It stays on the bow once the bow is braced.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 12:30:32 am »
I use a bowyers knot on the top limb and keep the loop on the bottom limb.  The loop never slips down the limb because it’s hanging.

Offline Fox

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 04:40:33 pm »
ive never done it any other way

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?