Author Topic: Thin or thick rings???????  (Read 2172 times)

gutpile

Re: Thin or thick rings???????
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 08:06:54 am »
top ring on both staves.. you don't have to make osage that wide either... 1" wide has been made with no issues.. I'd go 1 1/2 max...reflex with flip tips is how I would go.. you will lose some reflex during tillering .. flip tips profile just looks mean too... .. gut

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 09:10:12 am »
I usually just go for the first full length ring. That way I if I guff up I get another chance.

I usually chase the ring and if I have a lot of wood left to remove I try to get a belly split.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 09:21:31 am »
Thanks guy's ;)
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2020, 04:59:04 pm »
Whilst the belly split has thicker rings, they look like they have a lot of pithy pores through the heartwood. This is usually a good indicator that the wood is low density. The rings from the top stave are narrower but they don't look like they have the same amount of pithy pores in the heartwood.
I suspect the top stave will make a stronger, lower set bow than the same design, and dimension bow from the inner stave.

You could make the lower stave a bit longer or wider, and lessen set.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 05:48:49 pm »
Yes the lower stave has yellowish speckles in it.
I just learned something, Thanks Hamish.
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.