Author Topic: Bug track marks??  (Read 2437 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

Bug track marks??
« on: November 27, 2020, 05:38:59 pm »
I have been working down some dogwood shoots and started seeing these lines what looks like bug track marks. I've scraped down to them and they are very shallow like almost in between the growth rings. The shafts still are very stiff. Are they ok to make into arrows or do you think they won't hold up? Or is it even bug tracks to begin with?

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: Bug track marks??
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 05:48:24 pm »
Here they are

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 10:24:59 pm »
Were the bugs under the bark? I would take one shaft and put it through the wringer by bending it back and forth in every direction. If it survives they are probably ok for arrows. Some Native Americans cut lightning grooves along the shafts without adversely affecting the shaft so I doubt if the bug tracks will hurt the shafts. You might sand them so they don't cut your hand when shot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 11:41:49 pm »
Actual tracks or just discoloration?  I thought those were just a discoloration from the bark turning red.  Like Pat said bend them this way, that way, and in between - if they don't break, make arrows!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 04:08:20 am »
I saw no bugs what so ever. Some of these shafts I worked down from like haf inch thick and these lines are in there. Its possible they are just discoloration but when you scrape right over them they are almost pithy. Maybe the deepest ones are like 1/64th inch thick if that. But yea I've bent them everywhich way and bare shaft fired them from a 60lb bow with no problem. I was just checking before I fletch them.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 08:11:38 pm »
If it is bug damage, I would test each shaft pretty thoroughly - you don't want to find one that is hollowed out by having it explode.  Can you get closeup photos?