Author Topic: Longitudinal cracks  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Kidder

Longitudinal cracks
« on: November 27, 2020, 09:35:45 pm »
Wrapping up my most recent project - another hickory board bow. Two very narrow longitudinal cracks developed early in the tillering process. I filled them with thin CA as well as I could and moved forward and tillered it out. I can’t tell if they have lengthened or not - if they have it’s not by much. My thought is that I could do a sinew wrap to apply compression to them, but I’d really rather not. Thoughts on the risk these cracks pose and if significant, what the best course of action is? Thanks!

Offline Morgan

Re: Longitudinal cracks
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 09:41:31 pm »
The one running along the edge would worry me. I would wrap it just for insurance .

Offline Kidder

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 12:55:14 pm »
Would a thread wrap provide any benefit or is sinew really the only way to go? Has anyone had any luck using a leather dye on sinew to class it up a little? And will it in any way effect the tiller? Thanks!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 01:08:44 pm »
is that belly or back

Offline Kidder

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 01:15:51 pm »
is that belly or back
Both are on the back

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 01:25:11 pm »
Be sure both checks are filled with super glue. A thread wrap will work if you wrap tightly then set in glue. Super glue for this too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kidder

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 03:04:23 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. I ended up filling the cracks with ca as best I could before I finished tillering. I then opted for a sinew wrap as I have some from the mule deer I just harvested. Never worked sinew before and was pleasantly surprised. I used the titebond hide glue and will seal it with Truoil next. I think it looks pretty decent actually. Thanks!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 07:17:04 pm »
Shoot'em with CA and clamped is what  I do. They are not a problem unless they run off the edge and even then they may not be. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 05:26:54 pm »
The top one wouldn't worry me at all, the bottom might be a problem if it runs back into where it looks like you cut the fad. I would for sure wrap it . :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Kidder

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 07:40:07 pm »
The top one wouldn't worry me at all, the bottom might be a problem if it runs back into where it looks like you cut the fad. I would for sure wrap it . :)
 Pappy

That was exactly my concern.  I wrapped them both. More for aesthetic balance than anything. I’ve shot over 100 arrows through it and I don’t believe the cracks have moved. So I’ll finish it up and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks!