Author Topic: Newbie Mistake  (Read 931 times)

Offline AtomicWrangler

Newbie Mistake
« on: November 27, 2020, 10:23:13 am »
Good day yall, so i was just working and removing the bark off of a branch stave when i accidentally scratch the back area, it's VERY shallow and short but will this tiny scratch develops into a splinter later on when i start tillering?
thanks

the scratch compared to my thumb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Newbie Mistake
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 10:31:56 am »
How thick is that back ring? If thick enough you could do a light scraping over it until it disappears. If you scrape through it you will probably have to go down to the next ring.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 12:08:13 pm »
What wood is it and where in the limb?

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 12:47:48 pm »
All good questions
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline AtomicWrangler

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 09:27:37 am »
Pat B, i looked at the rings and maybe about 1/4 inch thick, i think i can do that though i never scrape an outer ring from a bow's back before so this would be a little scary for me
bownarra, the wood is local indonesian mahogany, i'm doing an experiment and the bow design will be based on the southwest natives bow with deflexed tips, the scar is on a mid limb off to the side a bit
thanks
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 09:31:11 am by AtomicWrangler »

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 09:37:26 am »
I don’t know anything about mahogany but 1/4 inch seems like you could probably get away with it. Being mid limb it will still have a considerable amount of stress. Would be nicer if it was closer to the tips. I guess it should make a nice experiment.
Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 10:11:43 am »
If you smooth out the repair over a couple of inches it should relieve the strain at that area. Just don't go down through that ring.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline AtomicWrangler

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 01:45:50 pm »
so about that scar....i couldn't find it anymore, but i have braced it to about 1 inch BH and draw it a bit, so far the bow hasn't exploded. i have made another newbie mistake by taking too much wood so that's that and thank you guys for the replies! :D this will be helpful for later bow projects