Author Topic: Band Saw and Stave questions  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Band Saw and Stave questions
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 08:52:00 am »
If you are planning to continue building wood bows you will not regret buying a bandsaw. Buy one that you can afford but if possible get one with at least a 1hp motor on it. Working with hardwoods you can overwork a smaller saw with lots of bow building.
 My first bandsaw was a 10" grizzly(1/2hp maybe). I got it so both my wife and I could use it for each of our projects. It didn't take me long to realize I was overworking the saw and creating a dangerous situation for myself trying to do stuff it wasn't meant to do.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2020, 04:35:45 pm »
 I use a 14" delta with out the extension so I am limited to about 4" thick cuts. which is fine 90% of the time. Since I have learned how to properly set it up I found I can use the cheap blades and they last forever. I use my bandsaw a lot and maybe go through about 12 blades a year at about 15.00 each. This year I am only on my second blade.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2020, 04:54:07 pm »
Thanks for the replies fellas. I bit the bullet and one came home with me. A little expensive but has good reviews and a 5 year warranty. I do plan on working on wood bows for lots more years so I figure I will get lots and lots of use out of it. I agree some of the old US products are hard to beat if in good shape and or repairable. This one should last a really long time as it appears well made.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"