Author Topic: Preferred hunting arrow species, if you could choose any  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Lumberman

Preferred hunting arrow species, if you could choose any
« on: December 02, 2020, 02:12:19 pm »
I have access to just about any U.S. arrow species in lumber form.. And a lot of imports as well. I kind of love hickory as a bow wood and was thinking about using Hickory next year instead of Ash. Ash works well but was just realizing i chose ash because it was a less pricey recommendation than Cedar or the tight ringed Doug Fir. What would you use and why do you think, if you had free access to any and could easily make them into arrows

Offline TimBo

Re: Preferred hunting arrow species, if you could choose any
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 08:12:35 pm »
I would like to try ash, but hickory is definitely great - it's tough and heavy for a small diameter. 

Offline StumpStalker

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 08:51:29 pm »
I would choose Sitka Spruce for a milled shaft. So damn tough, and I have battered them for years now! Stump shooting is my favorite activity and it really puts your arrow builds through their paces. Second would be Doug fir.

For a natural shoot shafts I like Oceanspray first, followed by Red osier and Nootka rose. Ocean spray is incredibly strong. I have intentionally shot it into a big rock with a high 50’s osage bow and it just bounced back hard and was just as good as it was when I shot it. The brass pistol cases was pretty mangled but the shaft was perfect! Osier is maybe not quite as tough as OS, but darn close, and it grows in more places in NA, and imo grows a little straighter. Nootka rose, if you find a good patch, will yield loads of beautiful shoots. However they grow nasty thorns, which makes harvesting more difficult, plus everywhere the thorns grow the shafts has a little wiggle. A little painful to straighten.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 04:16:49 am »
I agree with StumpStalker, Sitka Spruce is tough, and if well seasoned, will stay straighter than most other shafts. My last set I shot target and 3-D for over two years without having to straighten them.

As for grouping, I haven't found anything that would surpass Aspen shafts. It's grain is almost impossible to read and only spines on average between 40-50#.

Poplar is about the only milled lumber I can purchase locally. I made more of these than any other. Strong, easy to work/straighten and good spine weight for hunting. Makes excellent arrows.

I've made arrows from a lot of different woods, but the two that surprised me was white and red oak. But you can make excellent arrows from most any straight grained wood. Key is well seasoned wood to start with. That's the secret.

If you're looking for one set of arrows to match many bows, then personally, I'd recommend the Sitka Spruce. All bows are different though, you may have to experiment around with other woods to match them. Good luck......Art

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 09:19:21 am »
Thanks for the input  :D

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 07:15:43 am »
As lumber, Ash.  Hickory is tough and I remember reading that older arrow makers choose ash over hickoty but can't remember why at the moment

But I would prefer viburnum and in shoots. Shoot arrows are stronger due to their concentric rings.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 07:22:03 am by archeryrob »
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."