Author Topic: Drill, patch, or ignore this knot?  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Salsify

Drill, patch, or ignore this knot?
« on: December 08, 2020, 04:05:53 pm »
Hi guys,
So I’m working this osage stave with a large, mostly rotten knot about 8” from the limb tip. I dug out all the rot wood from the back, as the belly side of the knot was sound.
Somewhere during floor tillering I exposed a small amount of rot wood on the belly side I missed. A hairline crack formed starting from this rotten portion, and running around the knot. It’s entirley within the knot grain and not the rest of the limb. Running about 1/3 of the circumference around the knot. Almost as if the sound wood portion is getting ready to pop out.

I sealed the hole from the back with superglue and sawdust. Should I sinew wrap the area? ignore it and stop overthinking it?  Or drill out the belly and seal?If so what is the process for doing so(I’ve never done it) Just drill to sound wood? Follow the growth rings of the knot?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Drill, patch, or ignore this knot?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 04:18:03 pm »
A few pics would help us diagnose so we can suggest a remedy for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 12:47:14 pm »
If I understand you correctly wit those type of knots I like to remove them if possible. You can use a round punch on the belly side. Give it a few taps and see if anything will move. As you proceed to tiller and drawlength/bend increases they can 'ease' out. Just play it by ear. I don't like drilling.
A picture will help.

Offline Salsify

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 01:08:06 pm »

I traced the crack over with pencil, as it was too narrow to show in the picture.

back for reference

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 04:11:41 pm »
The knot looks solid and you have properly left the flow of solid wood around it. It wouldn't hurt to drill it out, but you could leave it as it is and  tiller as normal to deal with any potential stiffness at the spot.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 04:13:26 pm »
If the back ring is unviolated around and into the knot you shouldn't have to do more than add a little super glue like you did. If you could knock the limb out of the knot you wouldn't have to do anything.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC