Author Topic: Strings  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Strings
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2020, 04:54:27 pm »
Ok, the wax explains it.  My Dacron is very heavily waxed, but the FF is not.  Maybe wax will help, but I haven't had any issues so far.  What kind of wax works with synthetic strings?

I gave up on continuous loop because I had a hard time getting equal tension in the strands, and because Flemish Strings are less massive and more elegant IMO.

I've never been able to figure out how you can put a Flemish loop on each end of the string.  An eye splice yes, but that's different.

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2020, 05:27:15 pm »
   Any wax will work but a slightly softened beeswax works very well.   A fresh beeswax candle is very good.

Doing the second loop is very easy.  You just have to persevere and make sure you are twisting the right way each time.

Not sure why a flemish  would be less massive, particularly  if you have a knot on one end.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2020, 06:28:51 pm »
Trade craft, when you say your reverse twist the main line with a drill are you twisting each ply separately and then using the drill to twist them together?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2020, 07:00:04 pm »
If you reverse twist two bundles and place them together they  naturally want to join together.  That's how rope was invented.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2020, 07:37:23 pm »
A Flemish string is less massive because doesn't need a double thick body.

To use a drill, twist individual bundles of strands together in one direction, and then twist all of the bundles together in the other direction.   This leads to 0 net twist and a very stable string. 

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2020, 07:45:20 pm »
Not true.  Endless strings just have half thickness loops. 

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 08:24:45 pm »
Right right, the twist each bundle and then twist them together the opposite way that's what I was asking. It's hard to describe on here that's why I was trying to clarify what you were saying. So PatM when you make your 2 loops and then twist the main body are your bundles already twisted up or loose?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2020, 09:53:03 am »
Allen, I think we're on the same page about twisting.

Pat, if the loops are half thickness, then they are to weak for safety.  I know this is an old controversy, but maybe I don't understand it all the way.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2020, 01:06:18 pm »
A 14 strand continuous loop string has 7 strands in each loop where a Flemish twist string has 14 strands.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2020, 02:20:57 pm »
Which means the continuous loop string is half as strong.