Author Topic: Fine tuning my release.  (Read 5774 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Fine tuning my release.
« on: April 29, 2008, 03:58:31 pm »
I have only been shooting since last august and it has been mostly by myself. This years trad shoot season has helped as i have gotten better being around other archers. I recently noticed that I am getting a blister on my ring finger from release. To compensate for that I started applying more pressure on my pointer finger at draw and have found my releases cleaner and arra flight better which in turn has improved my accuaarcy considerably. Can anyone confirm a similar result from having most of the draw pressure on the pointer instead of the bottom two fingers. My style I guess is split finger /Mediteranian draw.   Thanks  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Slivershooter

Re: Fine tuning my release.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 05:07:43 pm »
When I start getting the sore ring finger it means I am raising my elbow too high.  Try lowering your elbow until it is in line with the arrow (check it in a mirror.) and putting around 80% of your drawing pressure on the middle finder, 15% on the pointer finger, and 5% on the ring finger.  At least that is what give me the cleanest release.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 02:55:56 am »
 I shoot med. with my short recurves but shoot 3 under with my longbows.I don't know why I shoot better doing it this way but the bow seems to make the choice for me. Far as I can tell,I put equal pressure on the three under and most of the strain on my middle finger shooting med.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

salad days

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 03:21:36 pm »
I shot all winter with different string grips to figure which one worked best for me shooting mostly my 62" longbow. Three under did not work well for me. What did work well was most of my pressure on my top finger. This helped keep my arrow right on top of the nock and totally eliminated finger pinch. All of a sudden I started shooting like a hero. I know it goes against "proper" form but it has allowed me to shoot totally instinctively with accuracy WAY up.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 02:23:05 am »
With wood bows you have to be careful of changing your shooting style. The bow was built with your old style of shooting and may need some tiller corrections as to not over stress a limb.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

perry

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:52:27 am »
 Depending on which bow I am shooting I need to have more or less pressure on differant fingers with my mediteranean release . This is due to each bow being differant , tiller , length's etc . Some bows even required a differant grip . I have now cut down on the number of bows on my rack .

regards Perry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 10:26:57 pm »
  I have been shooting one bow, 48" and getting tremendous finger pinch with a Mediteranium release. So I started shooting two fingers, one over and one under. Really tough getting used to. I now have another bow, same style and length and weight. No finger pinch. Like Pat said, every bow is different and you need to try different styles to see what is more comfortable. I now have another 48" and I'm trying to get used to shooting with a thumb ring. This is a whole new Ball game.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 01:24:21 am »
Hitting way right Eddie? ;D      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 03:01:39 pm »
I've always maintained a callous on the lower side of my ring finger from shooting. My main concentration is on my hand hold the bow and follow through. If I can control that, I usually can shoot decent. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 04:11:58 pm »
Greg, thats what is happening to me as well. I have a callous forming on the right ring finger and I too am finding that if I control my follow theu on the bow hand and don't move it around that the arrow hits what I'm looking at ( or somewhere close anyway). As much as I have tried to put more of hte pressure on the middle finger or even the pointer, it seems more natural for the string to release more on the ring finger. Thanks for the input fellas.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God