Author Topic: Snakey Osage 2020--####All Finished#########  (Read 5206 times)

Offline Mad Max

Snakey Osage 2020--####All Finished#########
« on: December 04, 2020, 04:08:22 pm »
The first thing I did was shim up the right side of the handle to get the tips level with the tiller tree.
Did I do that correct ??
70" NTN, 4" fades per side , 4" handle

« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 12:14:28 pm by Mad Max »
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Snakey Osage 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 08:01:52 pm »
That one is going to be challenging.
It looks like you are using turnbuckles to pull tip towards each other?

Normally we would first use a long string and draw the bow by pulling down on center of string. Observing the bend

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 08:07:27 pm »
I did alot of floor tiller, it was ready, started at about 3" brace.

What about the way it is sitting on the tree with the tips level and the fades, one low and one high
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 08:10:56 pm »
I think that looks ok. You certainly picked a challenging stick. Should be interesting.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline capitainepatenaude

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 10:50:18 am »
When I work with this kind of stave, I try to have the tips parallel to the floor. I then shape the handle accordingly like you did. I can't wait to see the final result. Good luck!

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 10:57:24 am »
Thanks guy's for the info ;)

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 08:22:32 pm »
Man you know how to pick a challenge don’t you? I’m not sure which way it’s snakier, belly to back, or side to side. Can’t wait to see what you can do with that.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 11:49:23 pm »
Nice challenge!
Will this be a bow or toy (pounds)?

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 12:22:10 pm »
That's an interesting stick.

Man you know how to pick a challenge don’t you? I’m not sure which way it’s snakier, belly to back, or side to side.

IMO the back to belly waves are much more of a challenge than the side to side waves.  I'd tackle something with twice the side to side if the tips are aligned and the back to belly profile is smooth.  That wave on the inner right would drive me crazy.

Good luck,

Offline maitus

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 12:31:50 pm »
How do You guys tiller bows like these....I wouldn't be able to do it :)?

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 12:43:11 pm »
I understand that even thickness taper is the most important part of tillering.  I just got a set of electronic calipers that reads down to .0005 in, though I trust them to .001 in.  They have been quite helpful already. 

You can also draw a straight line on the side of the bow at any really wacky point so you can measure the bend of the line instead of the wood.  That doesn't work well for whole lengths of limb though.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2020, 03:27:33 am »
Besides a VERY interesting/challenging bow project i see a very interesting tillering string.
Would you show it in detail and explain it for us. I'm sure I'm not the onlyone interested in it!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 04:01:04 pm »
Besides a VERY interesting/challenging bow project i see a very interesting tillering string.
Would you show it in detail and explain it for us. I'm sure I'm not the onlyone interested in it!

I will post more pictures.
Thanks guy's
I just took a few strings a tied them to the turn buckles, I wanted to brace it very slow without stressing the limbs at all
The bow is finished. I think the tiller is OK, could be better, left limb a little stiff at the fade.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 04:29:32 pm »
I ran it threw the band saw for width 1-1/2" and got the thickness where I wanted it.

Before I started to floor tiller I glued on some linen on the back of the right limb and wrapped some serving at the first hump out of the right fade

The serving wrapped area was wanting to bend too much during floor tiller so I sanded 3 veneers .020 thick each and glued them on, Now I have that area secure with backing and belly veneers and I don't need the serving wrap anymore.

So I got the floor tiller done

So I'm trying not to look at the humps and just looking at the overall bend

Offline Morgan

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 04:45:08 pm »
I offer no help, just encouragement. I could not tiller that stave. Those side profile kinks would be my undoing. I like your turnbuckle idea. First brace and first full draw off the tree is always my most puckering moments. Good luck.