Author Topic: Red Oak and hickory dimensions  (Read 4898 times)

Offline Kegan

Red Oak and hickory dimensions
« on: May 04, 2008, 09:25:07 pm »
I bought a 1x4 of red oak today. The grain is perfectly straight (to the point I was drooling over it) and want to try and get most out of it. I was wondering if I could cut it into three 1 1/4" wide pieces, back them with hickory, and still get strong 80# longbows out of them? I was thinking that just leave them full width longer, and also planned to put a stiff handle on them (thereby shortenning the limbs and making them stiffer). Would this work, or should I just cut two at 1 1/2" wide?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Red Oak and hickory dimensions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 09:26:57 pm »
                              You are wanting to Push Red Oak to 80 Pounds............good luck
                                                                         ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

CutNShoot

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 01:04:34 am »
Better back it with raw hide in case it blows.  :o  Man if you do make it to 80 lb be sure and post it .
 My best is 58 lb to date,which is about 8 pounds more that I can shoot anyway. If you have a short draw who knows it may work ;D  go for it.    I don't know about ripping it,but  I think probably not

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 06:24:33 pm »
I made a 73# one before (posted it here) and it was backed with a paper bag. I figured with a hickory backing, it could go up to 80#. But the 73# was much wider (1 1/2" over most of the length), and these would be 1 1/4" for most of the length.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 12:37:24 am »
As much as I like narrow bows, I think that it would have to be at least 1 1/2" wide to get an efficient 80lb bow with Red Oak.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline shamus

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 08:11:03 pm »
You're asking too much of the wood with a design like that. You're probably asking too much of red oak, period. But if you managed a 73# bow, and there will be density variations within a wood species.  I won’t say it’s impossible.

Jim Fetrow made a high weight longbow outof a army surplus pine tent pole, iirc. That was a hoot.

If going for a D bow, make it 1.5" wide. But you want a stiff-handled bow. In that case,  I'd make the limbs a full 2" wide.

If it were me, I’d go for long D bow. I’d want every ounce of limb working.

How thick is your hickory backing? Too thick and it’ll overpower the red oak.   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 08:14:22 pm by shamus »

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 09:46:19 pm »
We're cutting the hickory, so any thickness. Being denser than red oak I was thinking 1/8". As for the stiff handle, I was going to tiller it as circular as I can, like a D bow with a thick spot in the middle.