Author Topic: Lying crono  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Lying crono
« on: December 09, 2020, 08:17:01 am »
If you shot 187-188-189 with one bow . Then shot another bow with the same arrow . It shot 198-199 -214 throwing out the 214 is the machine lying and and if so which bow is it lying on.  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Lying crono
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 08:28:45 am »
That is well with the experimental error.
The difference in draw length and loose can easily cause that much discrepancy...
There is also the possibility of false triggering caused by arrow flex etc... e.g say the arrow is flexing and instead of the point triggering the first gate, it is just outside the sweet spot and the shaft 2" behind the point flexes into the sweet spot and triggers it.... then if the point itself triggers the second gate it will give a high reading ... as it's effectively been give 2" head start!
Poor lighting or strobing from the light source can also cause problems (florescents or LEDs can do that.. incandescents are ok).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 09:17:14 am »
So out of a gun they are more accurate. To many variables with bows. So back to what I said don’t matter how fast it gets there as long as it goes farther. Now that being said may be lots of wasted time and effort arguing about glass vs wood. Can wood be as fast I think yes. If it does not take set. There are more fast glass bows than there are wood bows because of set!!!!! It’s modern archery and there is a place for it when we set here and talk on a phone. I think you Del for that info you just put on here. It explains the different opinions. Arvin

Offline HH~

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 09:28:42 am »
Arrows are tough at best to get consistant. Shot truck loads of shizzle thru a chronograph for work from BIIG bullets to missiles. Depends what type of chrono your using. Go get some good .22 ELEY Black box. On back of bow it has the lot and FPScode info for that lot. It will shoot very very close to that a 65-70 degrees out of a 22-25" barrel. That give you a base line of how your chrono is lying. Good Black Box runs 1035-1060fps it'll say on lot code.
You'll see right off if you machine is consistanly low or high. My guess over years of shooting thru them a little bargin unit will be a tad high.

Hope that helps Arvin

Hedge~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 11:19:20 am »
If you shot 187-188-189 with one bow . Then shot another bow with the same arrow . It shot 198-199 -214 throwing out the 214 is the machine lying and and if so which bow is it lying on.  Arvin

Am I reading this wrong? Of course a different bow will read differently.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 11:32:53 am »
DC did the machine read one bow wrong when I got the higher speed ? If so why? Or where they both wrong and I’m wasting my time with it. I don’t explain myself very well sometimes. Is the second bow shooting faster? The machine said yes. The first bow has shot that arrow 239 yds. The second shot 246 at a shorter draw.both as close to 50# as I can get to meet flight weigh in. Arvin
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 11:40:40 am by Selfbowman »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 11:35:56 am »

Am I reading this wrong? Of course a different bow will read differently.

That’s what I was thinking DC. If they still read the same I would be curious.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 11:40:56 am »
I think to get the best result is to shoot a marble through the chrono instead on an arrow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 11:56:16 am »
In the Help me finish this recurve Thread Steve Questioned the speed of the bow thru the crono and I respect his thinking that’s all.but like y’all they should read different. I shot both bows within 10 minutes of each other.

Offline bassman

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 12:18:44 pm »
Arvin I just made the point that their have been wood bows that have shot 190 plus fps at 10 Gpp arrow weight. I have never came close to that with my bows. If I get 15 fps over 100 plus bow poundage I am happy. Personal best is Osage sapling sinew backed that shoots 165 at 25.75 draw at 45 lbs.. The machine that Mark shows his 190 plus has to be set up properly to get consistent readings. I am sure he knows how. Then their is shooter error.  I shoot static. So that is the way I check my bows. Then their is Badger  who bounces the string. Flight shooters know that stuff, and squeeze every fps they can out of their bows for distance shooting.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 12:30:19 pm »
I see what your saying now Arvin

The chrono would measure the speed as arrow leaves the bow. After that so many things effect it. Clean arrow flight probably the most important I would guesss. I don’t know much about tuning arrow for flight but I’m guessing you do. Could it be that the faster bow isn’t as in tune with the arrow?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 12:35:22 pm »
The second bow would seem to be faster for two reasons.  Why do you have a problem with that?

The question might be if the distance should be more given the additional fps.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 12:54:05 pm »
Pat don’t have a problem with it. Steve was questioning the speed but not my word. Again I respect Steve’s thinking to a great degree when it comes to bow making. At the end of the day if your coming to flats and expect to beat that bow you better shoot 250 yds if my bow hits its weight . Just saying.all contingent on Lord willing ! Arvin

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 01:19:49 pm »
 Simply pulling through the shot with a slightly bent bow arm will increase speed considerably. Most guys test bows with the same release they would use for hunting so in reality their bows are probably faster than they think they are. On the average without bouncing the string just making a clean release speed will usually come up between 7 to 10 fps. Powering a bow arm at the shot can boost speeds as much as 20 fps over what a shooting machine would get. I would never count a speed release as a bow test, it is simply how much can I get out of it test.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 01:38:16 pm »
Ok put that crono back up and keep building bows if you don’t know how to use them. Got ya guys. Been doing pretty good without it anyway. Thanks guys Arvin