Author Topic: Lying crono  (Read 3845 times)

Offline bassman

Re: Lying crono
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2020, 01:42:37 pm »
I believe you  badger. Just making an observation. Saw Dave Mead on utube shooting static with a glass recurve, and then pulling through the shot ,and jumped speed of the bow by 15 fps.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2020, 01:59:52 pm »
The second bow would seem to be faster for two reasons.  Why do you have a problem with that?

The question might be if the distance should be more given the additional fps.

Funny how I missed that because my mind thought it knew what was going to be written and didn’t really read what was written.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Morgan

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2020, 02:04:31 pm »
I have almost bought a chrono on many occasions. I will start using a cast test instead I think if I want to start tweaking a design. Honestly what has kept me from buying a chrono is worry that it will make a bow that I am perfectly happy with less than acceptable if I start focusing on speed numbers. I don’t build bows to sell, so I’m not awefully worried about the exact speed of a bow. I have bows that I know are dogs, and bows that I believe shoot pretty fast.on a good year I will make half a dozen bows, so I thank you guys that dissect the performance, because guys like me will steal your findings to improve the few I do make.

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2020, 02:17:27 pm »
If you shot 187-188-189 with one bow . Then shot another bow with the same arrow . It shot 198-199 -214 throwing out the 214 is the machine lying and and if so which bow is it lying on.  Arvin

I'm still puzzled. What am I missing.

Offline HH~

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2020, 02:29:25 pm »
I think to get the best result is to shoot a marble through the chrono instead on an arrow.

How do measure marble slingshot bore velocity? With the same chrono in question or do you have a marble shooter you've tested in a shooting tunnel with doppler.

So, you got the fastest self 50lb bow on the flats. Another guy has one 20fps slower (tested with a real chrono). You shoot into teeth of a cross wind and get 200yds. He steps up later and wind is directly into his face and he shoots 220yds. Howd that happen?

HH~

MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2020, 02:59:05 pm »
I have almost bought a chrono on many occasions. I will start using a cast test instead I think if I want to start tweaking a design. Honestly what has kept me from buying a chrono is worry that it will make a bow that I am perfectly happy with less than acceptable if I start focusing on speed numbers. I don’t build bows to sell, so I’m not awefully worried about the exact speed of a bow. I have bows that I know are dogs, and bows that I believe shoot pretty fast.on a good year I will make half a dozen bows, so I thank you guys that dissect the performance, because guys like me will steal your findings to improve the few I do make.

Nothing wrong with reading and applying the new learned knowledge.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 03:04:32 pm »
  I haven't done any real testing in yeasr but from what I have seen a really well made r/d self bow that didn't take much set and had maybe 2 1/2" reflex would seldom hit over about 176, a well made self bow recurve with about 2 1/2" behind the handle would seldom hit over 180 fps. Not talking hand shot bows here or super skinny strings. I think my fastest self bow recurve hit 184. That was before I was flight shooting. I have seen very few self bows pass 176 in an honest machine shot test although I know the Mark St Louis style will go well into the 180's as long as it hasn't taken too much set.

Offline PatM

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2020, 03:37:26 pm »
I think to get the best result is to shoot a marble through the chrono instead on an arrow.

How do measure marble slingshot bore velocity? With the same chrono in question or do you have a marble shooter you've tested in a shooting tunnel with doppler.

So, you got the fastest self 50lb bow on the flats. Another guy has one 20fps slower (tested with a real chrono). You shoot into teeth of a cross wind and get 200yds. He steps up later and wind is directly into his face and he shoots 220yds. Howd that happen?

HH~

Did it?

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2020, 03:55:44 pm »

I think the point was that the marble is easier for the chronograph to accurately pick up, compared to an arrow that is wobbling all over the place as it goes over the screens.

Mark

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2020, 04:30:35 pm »
If you shot 187-188-189 with one bow . Then shot another bow with the same arrow . It shot 198-199 -214 throwing out the 214 is the machine lying and and if so which bow is it lying on.  Arvin

I'm assuming both bows pull the same draw weight.  The efficiency of the bow would account for the difference especially if you're using lighter than 10 GPP arrows
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2020, 05:31:21 pm »
Thank  you Marc. We where comparing one bow design vs another with the same off the wall handle being of the same length, wood. It looks like the recurve won the race. Both speed and distance. I am constantly moving that mass In the same length . Looking for the sweet spot. Using good wood from the same grove. It’s paid off with the help from this forum. Thanks guys. Arvin

Offline PatM

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2020, 05:35:51 pm »
I'm pretty sure in the past I told you to just try a recurve when you were stalling a bit after perfecting your favorite design. ;)

Recurve guys know what's up despite people  claiming increased strain will cancel it out.  Maybe over time, but when you want to make one great shot, you'll use it.

Offline sleek

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2020, 05:51:45 pm »

HH~

Poor arrow flight.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2020, 05:52:10 pm »

I think the point was that the marble is easier for the chronograph to accurately pick up, compared to an arrow that is wobbling all over the place as it goes over the screens.

Mark

Exactly
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2020, 06:09:49 pm »
I'm pretty sure in the past I told you to just try a recurve when you were stalling a bit after perfecting your favorite design. ;)

Recurve guys know what's up despite people  claiming increased strain will cancel it out.  Maybe over time, but when you want to make one great shot, you'll use it.

Pat I am a Bit hardheaded to say the least. Pm me the recurve specs and I will attempt it . I am willing to try other things but not till I am convinced what I’m working on is short of the goal. Interested in new design always.any bow becomes a recurve at some point when flipping the tips. Explain to the country boy in simple terms why the deflex increased the distance? I’m also pretty dense like Osage.