Author Topic: Lying crono  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Lying crono
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2020, 12:42:38 pm »
Mark, when I tested your bow I was using heavier strings. That same bow would have tested about 194 with a 6 strand fast flight.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2020, 12:50:24 pm »
They are both pyramid in shape. The recurve is also diminishing mass In thickness from fades to mid limb or so then increases in thickness to tips  . The longbow is pretty much the same thickness 5-7” out of fades to 5-7” from the tips at which it gets thicker at that point. 
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline sleek

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2020, 01:48:35 pm »
Sleek which part of the limb moves the most? The otter limb right. The otter limb work harder but the maximum compression  is at the fades. Yes or no? I think that the combination of both is where it happens. But what do I know this is my third recurve.😁😁😁😁

I was in a hurry when I replied before and I feel it was an inadequate reply. So, I'm gonna give it another try.

Yes the tips move the most, but you knew that  The outer limb does not work the hardest, it actually works the least. The maximum compression could be looked at as being at the fades, but in reality, no. You want your compression evenly distributed across all the working limb area, if your fades have more compression forces per its surface area its overstrained, or the rest of the bow isn't strained enough, depending on which way you look at it. So, in short, the answer to the yes, no you ask is, no.

The reason I say recurves move the bending loads closer to the fade is that if you recurve a tillered bow, you will see the inner limb bend more with the mid and outer limb more straight.  You will need to remove wood from those areas to bring the bow back into tiller, and that action will simultaneously bring the bow back down to its original weight by the way.

The bow coming back down to its draw weight at the same time the tiller comes around perfectly is what guides me to that perfect amount of mid and outer limb bend when I start with an already made bow. When I hit draw weigh I know I'm done. It also is a proof of what I said where the fade gets stresses pushed to it when you recurve a bow, and when you tiller it back out, you are redirecting those stresses to be evenly distributed again.

Did that clarify anything or help you out?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2020, 02:23:12 pm »
Clear as mud. But I will read it again and again so maybe some will sink in. We can cover this more in person sometime. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline HH~

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2020, 02:57:47 pm »
Made more than a few recurves. A far as working outter limbs elm worked best. They worked about 3/8th inch. Hedge bow recurves I have done, the quickest (by eye watching arrow cast) are pure statics both big hook and small. The fast one is long 68-69" and returns flat after shooting. Its not a pyramid and it carries more wood on outer third which adds limb mass. Its bends nice right into fade with a tad shorter riser than i normally do. It did not need string grooves but after a few years I added them just to take some weight off ends.

Think you either end up some set mid limb in a pyramis design but you prolly gain some speed back in lighter limb mass. In my shorter recurves do pretty close to a short 90 turn. I tend to leave outter third real stiff until I get it close. All these bows I hunt with and have taken whitetails with cleanly.

I may have a pic working up them elm.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW