Author Topic: Yew wood  (Read 1009 times)

Offline bassman211

Yew wood
« on: October 31, 2022, 10:40:06 am »
I can get some from a friend in eastern Pa. What is the most common Yew scrub sold for yard use. I think that is what he has. I'm  wondering if it will make a bow? He has plenty, and is willing to share some with me. Most on here talk about western, or English yew for bow making, but I doubt this is either of those.

Offline Kidder

Re: Yew wood
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 11:44:05 am »
Most landscaping yew is hedge form or conical and will be extremely knotty. Irish yew or cemetery yew is pretty common as is Canadian yew (not pacific yew). There are a few other species but I believe all are generally the same hedge growth or conical form - branches from the ground up, super full etc. I’d request a picture and see what they look like - if they have the right growth form you might be able to get a good stave. The other consideration with yew are the conditions grown under. Generally landscaped trees will be watered well and low stress, growing quickly and with wide rings, not ideal for yew wood. But I’ve heard of decent bows made from landscape yew. I believe Del (of course, who else!) has had some luck with it. Good luck!

Offline bassman211

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 01:31:49 pm »
Thanks for the info.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 04:58:03 pm »
Taxus cuspidata and Taxus x media(hybrid, T cuspidata x T. baccata) are commonly used in landscapes here in the US. It comes in all forms from low growing form to an understory tree or cluster of small tree.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 05:49:04 pm »
I stayed in a motel in NE PA a few years ago that had some gigantic yew bushes on the property. Some of the branches (about 4"-5" dia) we're very clear and looked like they'd make a nice bow. I tried to get the owner to allow me to cut a branch or two but he wasn't receptive to my idea. I even offered some pretty good cash but he still wasn't receptive. I still wonder what kind of bows those yew bushes would have produced. Good luck Bob, hope you can get some good yew.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline bassman211

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 08:54:16 pm »
I never had the opportunity to try yew wood Steve. The owner claims he prunes  the Yew ,and some of it is wide ,and long enough for bows. If I get my hands on some ,and build a bow from it ,and it works I will try to gift you a stave.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2022, 07:26:21 pm »
Thanks Bob, that's very generous of you.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges