Author Topic: Sharpening your scraper - HowTo PLEEEEASE?  (Read 15197 times)

Offline BigWapiti

Sharpening your scraper - HowTo PLEEEEASE?
« on: May 05, 2008, 02:14:47 am »
I've tried and tried, following website tutorial, but still can't succeed at consistently putting a good cutting edge on my scrapers.  Sometimes I do something right and I can scrape nice curls for a couple hours.  Most other times, sawdust.  I even went and bought a veritas adjust burnisher - hearing they were the peaches pie of scraper sharpening.  My odds haven't changed.   The scrapers I bought stayed sharp for days - after i "sharpen" them, I'm lucky to get a couple hours.  Maybe I'll just keep buying new ones, and put my old ones up for trade...  ::)

Can someone do a how-to on sharpening? 

I searched here and didn't find a link - I'm surprised though, am I missing it somewhere?

Thanks guys.

Mike
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Sharpening your scraper - HowTo PLEEEEASE?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 02:23:46 am »
Mike......Roger Sparks did one last year I think. Its probably still on the bows forum me thinks ? BTW way scrapers er good fer 15 mins er so accodring ta luthiers then ya have ta resharpen them. Coupla hours sounds good ta me. Make sure the edge ya are rollin' is flat and has new metal showin' thats probably why the store boughten ones seem better. Just a thought.....bob

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 02:27:34 am »
Thanks Bob,  I've been filing them flat and then using my burnisher to roll the edge.  or should I say, trying to roll the edge.  :)

but if you say 15 minutes, maybe I'm not doing too bad then.  I guess that patience gig is biting me again.  I enjoy my time in the shop building these bows, but sometimes I just want the thing bending quicker than I should.  Its good for me.

Thanks again, I'll search the bows forum - Thanks.
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 02:30:28 am »
Ok, I found it - I must have been mistyping "scraper" - this time I found the link Bob was talking about, from Roger.

Sorry about that folks - but since I made ya look - here's the link...

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1237.0.html
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 05:43:37 pm »
Try using thicker material for your scraper. On thin ones like cabinent makers use you have to file and burnish often. Thicker material allows for more removal  per sharpened edge. Just another option.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

radius

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 09:03:52 pm »
okay, so i sharpened and burnished it, and used it on some osage that had grain runout...and got some serious bumps and dips...but i can see how well this will work on straight-grained wood

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 09:13:23 pm »
belt sander as  per Pappy ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 10:47:21 pm »
Try using thicker material for your scraper. On thin ones like cabinent makers use you have to file and burnish often. Thicker material allows for more removal  per sharpened edge. Just another option.
Tracy

Tracy, yeah, I had actually used a scraper from 3 Rivers Archery - its thick, about 1/8" - I worked 2 vine maple bows using that one scraper.  It lasted a long time, but has proven to be a real bugger to sharpen back to retain that same edge/curl as it had when new.  But I agree, I love the thicker scrapers -- easier on the hands and don't get as hot.   Seem also to not skip as much as thinner metals and I get more control for a flatter surface. -Mike
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Ken Allen

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 03:34:10 pm »
This is another option. In my final stages i like to use scrapers and sandpaper "and we know how quick sandpaper will dull a scraper" so i was all the time resharpening my scrapers so i thought i would give this little device a try. In a matter of seconds you can have an edge 0-15 degrees. I have used this for a few years and if you use scrapers a lot you might want to give this a try.http:// www .woodcraft .com/family.aspx?familyid=3739
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 11:22:49 am by Justin Snyder »

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 12:00:00 am »
Ken, thanks - - yeah, as my original post states, I have one of the Veritas Adj Burnishers as well.   Unless I'm just not getting it, I seem to get a better burr using my screwdriver across the scraper than I do with this tool.  why?  I really ask.  because I read posts that its the next best thing to sliced bread (or fill in your own favorite cliche').  What's your trick to using it.  I was surpised that when I received it, it came with no instruction.  its really not -that- easy to use, correctly.  Is it?  I end up with plastic pieces laying near the scraper - from the burnisher - that can't be right.

I don't mind showing my ignorance - help?
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Ken Allen

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 02:45:27 am »
ooops! I should have read it better:)

I hit mine on a flat stone a few swipes to square up the edge. I then put the scraper in a vise and with the dial set on zero( Facing it, the dial will be on the right side when you are pulling it toward you) then i pull the burnisher toward me with 3-4 times with moderate pressure." If this isn't done you will never get the edge". Then i set the dial at the degree of burnish i want and pull it toward me again 8-10 times with moderate pressure. You should be able to feel the lip to see if you have a good curled edge. If not i hit it a few more times. It has worked well for me and has saved me alot of time. I hope you can get it to work for you.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 08:52:32 am »
I just hold the flat edge on a belt sander ,for just a few seconds then flip it around and do the
same,Be sure and hold the edge flat and that is all there is to it.It may not last as long and burnishing it but it only take a short time so you can do it often.I have tried a lot of way but
they take to long for me and don't last much longer. :) Quick and easy ,Ya that's me. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 08:57:37 am »
Ken, thank you!  I'll give that a shot. That 0 degree thing, might be my ticket.

And Pappy, I'm certainly into easy - I'll give that a go too!!

((I'm on a business trip to Dayton, OH this week -- wow, there's a lot of "trees" around here, compared to my eastern WA home - bows bows bows!))  :)
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 08:59:56 pm »
THANK YOU PAPPY for that information.  I used a piece of bandsaw steel...touched her up on 12o grit belt on my sander and been making osage and ipe shavings...lovin it, quick and easy. 

Ken Allen

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 10:04:02 pm »
Without directions i would have been totally lost.  Heck most of the time with directions i'm still lost ;D