Author Topic: Sharpening your scraper - HowTo PLEEEEASE?  (Read 15198 times)

Offline BigWapiti

Re: Sharpening your scraper - HowTo PLEEEEASE?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 03:56:13 pm »
I just hold the flat edge on a belt sander ,for just a few seconds then flip it around and do the
same,Be sure and hold the edge flat and that is all there is to it.It may not last as long and burnishing it but it only take a short time so you can do it often.I have tried a lot of way but
they take to long for me and don't last much longer. :) Quick and easy ,Ya that's me. ;) ;D
   Pappy

Thanks Pappy - so does that method put a burr on it too?  or is it making it more like a knife blade?  curious.
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline lowell

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 11:24:50 am »
For what it may be worth I put and edge on kind of like Pappy.  I sharpen my scraper with a grinder then finish of with a "flapper wheel".  ( it's a wheel that is made of a bunch of pieces of sand paper thet flap as it is spun with an air tool, can be found at most hardware stores)

My neighbor went to a wood carving show and a guy there showed him how to sharpen with the flapper wheel.  It does not have a burr for the edge but seems to curl nice pieces of wood off for me!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 03:04:07 pm »
Pappy, do you hold the flat side of the scraper on the belt like you were sharpening a knife (A.); or hold the thin edge on it (B.) like you were trying to square the edge up?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 05:39:42 pm »
I hope I aint doing it wrong but I hold it like on B...edge to the belt (120 grit) to flatten it nicely.  I do burnish the edge with an old round backed chisel from my lathe and it seems to work nicely.

alfadee

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 12:20:34 pm »
i found this tutorial on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfUi8Nm6_Jg

david

Offline DanaM

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 12:31:27 pm »
Like B Steve, I always did like multiple choice tests :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 12:56:49 pm »
I just take the edge over a flat stone by keeping the scraper diagonally like when you use a plainer, that's pretty much the same method as Pappy basically but without power tools ;D ;D

Quick, easy, and it last plenty enought

....Hoo yeah like picture (B)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 02:11:46 pm »
i tried using a steak knife sharpener, you know like the round metal thing with groves running length wise. i used that instead of the file because i kept getting a rough edge on my scraper. i just clamp the scraper in the vice, run the sharpener on it just like you would the file, and then burnish. it took like 1 minute and it was sharper than when i first got them. i do like the idea of using the belt sander, but right now ive got 40 grit on there for grinding laminations :P

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.