Author Topic: looking for rawhide  (Read 2404 times)

Offline dylanholderman

looking for rawhide
« on: December 11, 2020, 11:27:08 am »
hey guys i'm looking for some rawhide for a banjo project, preferably something with color to it instead of the bleached commercial hides.

for trade i can make some steel trade points from a worn out saw plate i picked up and a knife if you have some specs you want one built to, i might still have some bowstaves that i'd be willing to part with too, lots of other odds and ends i haven't mentioned to.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: looking for rawhide
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 12:11:00 pm »
I have fur on deer raw hide.  What dimensions do you want?  This stuff is thick but it could be sanded down.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 02:21:41 pm »
i think a 14" circle is the smallest i can get away with, i'm open to the whole hide if your willing to part with all of it  ;)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 02:59:59 pm »
I cut it up some time ago.  The piece is just large enough to get 2 14in circles out of it.  I cleaned and dried the hide last fall and haven't used this piece.  That's about all I've done to it.  It will need to be thinned.  It may have even more color than you want; PM me with an email so I can send you photos.

What else do you have to trade?  I'm always up for good osage or hickory, but this probably isn't worth quite that much :)

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 09:46:55 am »
sent you a PM