Author Topic: Rivercane arrow question  (Read 6097 times)

Offline Woody roberts

Rivercane arrow question
« on: December 11, 2020, 05:27:00 pm »
Out of curiosity what length do your cane arrows end up at. Most of my cane is not as dry as I would like and have had just a few pieces to play with.
Bareshaft tuning before I fletch it seem that 30” is a common number. Some a little shorter, some longer but it seems at 30” I can change the point weight and get them to shoot together.

Does this sound right?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rivercane arrow question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 09:02:01 pm »
My cane and hardwood shoot arrows are 30" for my 26" draw. I think the extra length helps the arrow get around the bow and I like the extra physical weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 08:36:45 am »
Woody did you find river cane where you are at or did you buy it?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 08:56:07 am »
If you guys actually know what "river cane"(Arundanaria gigantia) is you wouldn't be touting it as good arrow material. Figure out which cane(bamboo) genera and specie you are dealing with. The botanical name is known worldwide, the common names are local at best.  Passing on good,factual information is as important with arrow shafts as it is with bow woods.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 09:16:19 am »
Pat you don't like actual river cane?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 09:39:24 am »
Actual river cane will make an arrow but it isn't as good for arrows as many other canes(bamboo), native or exotic. River cane grows to 15'+, 3/4" in diameter, thin walls, large center opening and large nodes. You have to get shafting from the top 3' or 4' of the culm. Like I said before I have a few arrows that were given to me made from river cane so they will make good arrows but IMO other cane makes better arrows.
 My point is every arrow cane is not river cane. I'd almost bet very few arrows are made from true river cane. The nerd in me wants to use proper names for materials used so it is clear to everyone what exactly the materials are used for arrows.

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 02:01:30 pm »
I cut this in a cane brake alongside the Jacks Fork river. This cane doesn’t get much over 10’ tall and 3/4” at the base. Nodes seem huge to me. Nodes alternate side to side. I 2 fletch these arrows with the nodes on the top and bottom regardless of spine. Each one will shoot considerably better with one side up over the other. Once which side becomes the top I paint a white streak down the top. A yellow streak down the bottom. These natural shafts with turkey feather fletch can be difficult to find in the grass/ leaves.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 03:10:33 pm »
What you probably have is switch cane(A. tecta), an American native cane very similar to hill cane but more widely distributed.

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 03:56:19 pm »
I wouldn’t know how to tell. The cane that grows along Jacks Fork and Current rivers never gets big enough to make true cane fishing poles from. The brakes are thick as grass and difficult to walk through.
There is no cane in my area that grows up on the mountain side that I’ve ever seen.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 07:48:27 pm »
I'll have to look for some next time I'm down on the jacks fork. Pat I assume anytime someone says river cane they mean the actual variety they are talking about

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 09:33:07 pm »
River cane is more of a generic term these days.
Woody, hill cane(A. appalachiana) only grows in the southern Appalachian Mountains. Switch cane grows all over the Southeast US.

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 09:40:33 pm »
In the future I’ll refer to my cane arrows as cane. Since I’m not sure of the variety.

gutpile

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 08:24:02 am »
Cane is the absolute best arrow material around here.. easiest to make also.. most durable shaft out there IMO... I cut my cane at 25 " spine at 65 to 70lbs.. I shoot 27 draw 55 lb bow... I then foreshaft my cane to add weight up front and bring spine down to around 55 or 60.. foreshafts are about 5 inches out shaft... gut

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 10:06:10 am »
Those look sweeeet

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 12:16:07 pm »
Those are scary heads, what's the black and red stuff?