Author Topic: tn classic  (Read 16311 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: tn classic
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 01:23:02 pm »
  Dan, I enjoyed the conversation,good to see you again. But you about made me mess up my pants when that bow blew.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 02:37:21 pm »
I just wanted to thank all of you guys for coming and participating in the flintknapping, I know you wouldn't have had it any other way. ;)

I enjoyed watching what few times I got free and was able to elbow my way through the crowd to see the flakes flying. I really respect you guys talent...

GregB
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 02:45:07 pm »
Shannon, that came out great. And guys, that's Rhyolite (man's rock  ;D ) and he pressure flaked it with antler, too! No copper was harmed in the making of Shannon's point.  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 02:59:22 pm »
Shannon. You did a great job...especially for your first...and double especially since it is rhyolite! But now you have no excuses with any other kind of rock. ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 05:30:31 pm »
That did come out extra nice Shannon!! Ya'll about have me ready to start trying abo tools - gradually though, old dogs have their ways ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 06:47:32 pm »
Next year I plan to be in that Pit more often with you guys! Did all of you really stay up to 3 am smaking on that rock there?!?!  ??? :o ;D

Going to heat treat that rock you sent me Paul. Now that I see what it can become I wont be so afraid of it now!  ;D  Let me know when you need some more obsidian. I will be making a weekend trip to get some more in the fall.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline cowboy

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 07:11:32 pm »
I remember heading down the hill at two o'clock one morning - I think ;D. I had time to dig that Redfern video out yet, but when I do I'll trade ya that box of obs.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 07:18:52 pm »
Cool! You remember the name of it? I got a couple of his now so dont want to double up. Think I like Ratzits videos for detail and technique and Refern for his truth in knapping. Breaks a point and actually shows him doing it and is truthfull about not being perfect. Fun to watch him make those points too. Got any of the DC Waldorf videos you dont need anymore? Man I like watching the pros work!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline david w.

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 11:25:28 pm »
Saw Filer thats a superb point. i cant believe that your first :) i wish mine were like that i am going at knapping blind right now and have succesfully reduced cowboys rocks he sent to to gravel.

Clarksville is probably a 6hr drive from my house i will see you all in a few years
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline cowboy

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 11:40:44 pm »
Don't remember the title Dave but only have two - one is Calf Creekin and other Ishi and Cahokia, can't remember which you were interested in. Don't have any DC stuff.
 Don't worry about the pile of rubble David w - I'm sure you picked up some experience with that box of rocks. Keep on knappin and you'll gitter figured out :).

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 12:30:21 am »
David, I bet if we just thought about it for a while, we could think of someone passing by pretty close to your neighborhood on there way down. Maybe you could catch a ride with somebody next year.
 If you could ever make it down, you'd be knockin out points in no time flat.
 And tell your parents not worry, you couldn't be around a better bunch of folks ;)  Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 03:19:33 am »
Don't remember the title Dave but only have two - one is Calf Creekin and other Ishi and Cahokia, can't remember which you were interested in. Don't have any DC stuff.
 Don't worry about the pile of rubble David w - I'm sure you picked up some experience with that box of rocks. Keep on knappin and you'll gitter figured out :).

I have the Calf Creekin video and would be really interested in the Ishi and Cahokia.  You see that guy Dane in his videos? He used to live around these parts and I often went over to his place to break rock with him. Nice guy! Met D.C. once at his place and had a good time learning from him and just shooting the breeze. Wish I could have spent more time with James and learned more from him. Oh well! Next year!  ;D

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 10:36:45 am »
Next year you guys are going to get to teach me how to knapp.
If I can stay out from under the bow making shed that is.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 06:27:21 pm »
Cowboy,

I think that some of Redfearn's other tapes are Dalton Point, Clovis Point, and Hardin Point.  I think I have them all, including D.C. Waldorf's, Bill Metcalfe's, and a couple of good Abo tapes.  I play them over and over every night, and I still can't get it exactly right.  I am trying to do more abo stuff lately.  This one tape called "Gettin' 'em Thin" by Roger Warmaneiser--or something like that--is real good.  Good flakin' to all of you guys.  By the way, we have a great Primitive Arts Festival and Flintknapping show in Cartersville, GA, each year the last week in April.  You ought to come.  We had Craig Ratzat this year.

Dan

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 07:38:03 pm »
Dan, your making me feel bad! All the good events are back east.  Need to get out that way again sometime.  Can someone look into bringing more knappable material to the next Classic? I would have brought a bunch but the rates for shipping stone by airlines were way higher than the planes can fly!

David T