Author Topic: New recurve Pat M style  (Read 6401 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: New recurve Pat M style
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2020, 08:13:11 am »
Sleek the dark wide pyramid comes in at 27oz . The other two come in at 23oz.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2020, 08:34:50 am »
I use heat temperately on Osage.  I heat-treated a bow several years ago and the bow exploded tillering it out, not fun.  The wood was clean although the growth rings were somewhat fine

Marc please explain heat temperately to the country boy. I had heat straighten the one bow that is real dark in places and then decided to take a ring off the back and I was a bit thin in those areas. Arvin

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2020, 08:45:02 am »
Lighter tips is the next thing. I suspect you could remove a good bit of material from those recurves. Narrow them down. Look at how much a Turkish hornbows tip 'steps in' in width at the base of the curve. A standard Turkish bows tip is around 10 - 12mm wide and 17mm thick, that'#s with draw weights of over 100#'s.....tips can be much svelter (???) than you think. :)

I don’t think a Turkish Flight bow can be compared to a broadhead bow that is not to be draw past the back of the handle. I could be wrong. Do you have a Turkish 50 pounder. If so shoot a 450grain broadhead arrow not drawing past back of bow and report back the shot distance. I’m curious. Arvin

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2020, 09:03:20 am »
If you do decide to loose tip mass, weight the bows mass if you can before and after to see how much your performance changes as mass drops. Also, im curious about how those bows compare in mass?

For me I think that would not work the way I tiller bows. But yes that would be interesting. The problem is what’s the starting point. Arvin

Offline PatM

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2020, 10:17:54 am »
Lighter tips is the next thing. I suspect you could remove a good bit of material from those recurves. Narrow them down. Look at how much a Turkish hornbows tip 'steps in' in width at the base of the curve. A standard Turkish bows tip is around 10 - 12mm wide and 17mm thick, that'#s with draw weights of over 100#'s.....tips can be much svelter (???) than you think. :)

I don’t think a Turkish Flight bow can be compared to a broadhead bow that is not to be draw past the back of the handle. I could be wrong. Do you have a Turkish 50 pounder. If so shoot a 450grain broadhead arrow not drawing past back of bow and report back the shot distance. I’m curious. Arvin

Mike is only talking about how tips can be reduced, not an actual comparison of the rest of the bow.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2020, 10:20:26 am »
Ok thanks

bownarra

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2020, 11:54:24 pm »

I didn't say a Flight bow specifically. The Turks made warbows too :) The tips on both were practically the same. Turkish bows shoot both very light flight arrows and heavy hunting weight arrows very well indeed. The heavier arrows of course make the bows more efficent.  So broadhead or not makes no difference. Same with overdraws that wouldn't make any difference in how the bow transfers its stored energy.
I have a few around 50# and the performance is right up there :) I haven't tested them in years so can't quote you absolute figures but at least as fast as any selfbows i've made.
I've played about with reducing tips a lot and know you can remove some weight from yours :)