Author Topic: New field tipped douglas fir arrows  (Read 2509 times)

Black Moshannon

New field tipped douglas fir arrows
« on: January 21, 2021, 11:49:48 am »
I bought some Surewood shafts and made four practice arrows. I got the highest weight I could to match my wild rose shafts, something like 450-460 grains in my 55-60 spine weight. I added 160 grain field tips. One of the arrows I cut to 29 inches and put on the 160 grain tip and it did not fly well. I cut the rest of the shafts to 29.5 inches and they fly well with the 160 grain heads. I put a 190 grain field tip on the 29 inch arrow and now it flies well. These weigh in the range of 605 to 640 grains so they're close to wild rose weight. I have a lot more so these are now my standard arrows for targets requiring a field tip. Love them a lot

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: New field tipped douglas fir arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 01:53:21 pm »
Nice looking set!  Shoot good!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Black Moshannon

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 04:52:20 pm »
Thanks Jerry

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 10:15:27 am »
Nice work

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 10:01:23 am »
 That 1/2" can make a significant difference. Glad you got it figured out. Nice looking arrows.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline StickMark

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 08:11:49 pm »
Surewood douglas fir shafts rock my world.  Love making mulefat shafts, using hill cane, but those douglas firs shoot real good.

Like you, I find that an extra half inch on shafting matters ( I weigh my Zwickies, and find that they are 133 grains starting out, and that sort of bothers me, given that I can spend a lot of time making matching arrows ).

But then again, can I "shoot the difference?"

Any case, nice shafts....