Author Topic: Bend through the handle bow length  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Nasr

Bend through the handle bow length
« on: December 24, 2020, 09:33:13 pm »
So I was thinking about this while I was gluing up a backing on a bow that will be bend through the handle. This is a design that I have been trying to make now for a while now but never really got to it. I usually make my bow around 62” to 64” ntn for my 27 - 28 inch draw. My draw changes based on the handle design. When I am on the tiller tree I actually tiller to 26” from the belly of the bow that way this allow me to tiller to my draw no matter how thick the handle as my draw is alway 26” from the belly of the bow. So for a bend through the handle bow my actual draw would be somewhere around 27-27.25 inches. (I assume the handle area would be around 1 to 1.25@ thick idk for sure cause I don’t really make these types of bows) does that mean the rule twice your draw for length is based on this number as opposed to the 28” draw on a stiff handle bow? Forgive me for this long paragraph I wasn’t expecting to write this much. I am sure that twice you length rule isn’t set in stone and you can change that but as this is a new design for me I need to start somewhere.

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Bend through the handle bow length
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 11:38:33 pm »
I usually tiller is to 28” regardless just as a safety factor.

For a bendy handle you can make it exactly twice the draw length, so you could make a bow 52” ntn for a 26” draw.
I’ve done it but it’s still asking for a lot from whatever stave you have and building it that short string angle might start to be a issue as well.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 11:58:20 pm »
I’m making it 60” overall I was just wondering if that rule puts into consideration of draw changes based on handle depth. I just like to over think things I can get pretty annoying with this. I was never planning to go under 60” unless I had no other choice.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 02:20:57 am »
That’s a good question. I don’t know how everyone else measures, but I alsways measured from belly side of handle to string for draw length when tillering, never thought about how it changes with handle depth. I bet you don’t wind up with a 1” thick handle.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 07:10:57 am »
I measure from the back of the bow to the nock of the arrow. I usually don;t tiller out to 28 since my draw is around 26 unless I am building it for someone else. :) Seems everyone want to tiller to 28 but that is just a standard set for factory Glass bows AMO so I pay no attention to that number. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 08:41:48 am »
What Pappy said. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline TimBo

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 10:00:40 am »
Lots of people will say to double your draw length and add 10" for a rigid handle.  You are more or less in that area with your previous bows at a 27" draw (27x2 = 54 +10 = 64).  If you picture the rigid handle bow without the 4" grip, you would be using the fades as the grip area (i.e. making it slightly thicker so it works just a bit).  By cutting out (mentally!) the 4" rigid handle part, you would be at 60"...so you should be in good shape.  If you have a handle that works more, you could go shorter.  At least that's how I think about it...lots of better bowmaking minds here may have differing opinions (which I would like to hear)!