Author Topic: Tell me about Ash for bows...  (Read 1054 times)

Offline monoloco

Tell me about Ash for bows...
« on: January 05, 2021, 05:09:07 am »
The Emerald Ash Borer has decimated our Ash trees, and consequently we have a lot of standing dead or near-dead trees in all sizes/ages.  While wandering the woods looking for a cooperative whitetail, I started wondering if I should look for prime specimens and put away some bow wood?

I don't know about other's neck-of-the-woods, but Ash will soon no longer around here (VA).  Very sad...

Offline RyanY

Re: Tell me about Ash for bows...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 06:15:35 am »
My understanding is that standing dead white wood will start the process of decay quickly and is not suitable for bows.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 06:23:42 am »
Most dead standing or on the ground white woods are not suitable for bows, but they do make very good fire wood, man needs fire also. ;) Live Ash makes a good bow but does seem the vary from tree to tree. We have quite a bit of ash here in Tennessee, hope the borers don't get to it but someday probably will.  :(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline monoloco

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 07:07:47 am »
I have found the heartwood to vary a fair bit... we heat with wood so have been splitting a fair bit of ash recently :-(
I guess the best way to find out is to fix up a couple of billets if I come across a standing tree that when felled does not appear compromised...

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 07:37:08 am »
The borer has not arrived here yet, but there are rumors that it is getting closer.  I have my eye on a few ash trees, but I'm not sure if I want to leave them sanding as extra seed stock.

Offline monoloco

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 07:57:35 am »
No telling how ours arrived, but it's a bit frightening.  I assume we'll be wiped out completely.
We mostly cut/split our own firewood but years ago I used to occasionally buy a load when I was behind schedule.  Current recommendation is that firewood not be transported as a general rule.  Not sure if that has anything to do with Ash Borer, or anything else around here, but we've moved to wood of our own woodlot only ;-)

There are some treatments and in VA you can get a little $ help, but it's still a hassle and not free.

Anyway, I'll have to research Ash bow designs and start hoarding what I fell that seems suitable.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 07:57:53 am »
Don't count on any to survive. They didn't skip any here in western Pa that I've seen All dead. Didn't take them very long either. If you think you'll ever want to make a white ash bow in your lifetime and know where a good, fully live and healthy tree is, cut it now... or forever hold your peace.

The best way to keep some for seed is to save the actual seeds and preserve them until after the borer plague is gone, then replant. I heard there are groups of scientists doing that.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 08:21:26 am »
I would not use any whitewood that is dead standing or on the ground whether it be sapwood or heartwood. Fungus is very effective at it's job of breaking down dead wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 05:04:28 pm »
We have dead standing patches of it  here in Western Pa. Such a waste, and Dutch Elm disease.  What Pat B said.

Offline Fox

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 07:38:04 pm »
monoloco, I tried to salvage some ash trees for staves. I cut a few ash trees down that were not dead yet but they didn't have long. still had leaves though. every tree I cut had worms of some kind already throughout the whole stave. I couldn't get one stave from the several big trees that were cut  :(

lots of good firewood though!     I'm in VA as well... whereabouts are you in VA? all the ashes are dead now, here in blue ridge, except some young ones that won't be long. It really is quite sad. :(

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?