Author Topic: Assyrian style composite bow.  (Read 5445 times)

Offline Mafort

Assyrian style composite bow.
« on: January 06, 2021, 01:10:56 pm »
Anyone have any information about how these were constructed? Looking to replicate it but I can’t seem to find any information about making them

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Assyrian style composite bow.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 08:51:31 pm »
isn't it the same as a Egyptian composite?

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 12:15:16 am »
If you could post a picture of the style yuo are looking to replicate I can help.
Basically most hornbows were made the same way, more or less. The materials dictate how to do things.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 07:20:39 am »
It’s similar to the Egyptian but with longer ears. It’s deflected off the handle and then reflexes from there. I just want to know how I should assemble the core for it. I was thinking of doing and 5 peice core and then I’d steam bend the maple for the limbs to a curve and then splicing it in at a deflex at the handle.

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 08:12:17 am »
Yes do a 5 piece core. Shape the handle section into the delfex. Splice on straight bending sections. Then splice in the bent tip sections.
Handle around 25mm thick. Bending sections 15mm. Tips around 17mm at thickest point.

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 12:02:46 pm »
I came across this the other day while trying to find information about the siyahs. Its a pretty good series of videos, might be helpful  :OK

How to Construct the Asiatic Bow - Part 1/8 - DIY BOW MAKING
https://youtu.be/cISUlV895xA
Offgrid mtn living