Author Topic: Crown Cutting Tool  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Crown Cutting Tool
« on: February 23, 2021, 06:29:50 pm »
I have a new drop-in .54 TC barrel that needed work because the crown was cutting patches, I tried the thumb and sand paper method but could tell I didn't have the crown cut perfectly on all sides. 

Bill Raby used a similar tool in one of his videos to the one I made to crown a barrel so I thought I would expand on his idea and make one to use on my new barrel. I can chuck mine up in drill, his was strictly a hand tool.

I turned the tool on my hobby wood lathe, it has about a 60 degree cutting surface. I turned the small end to be slightly smaller than the bore and put a piece of tape around it to give it a snug but turnable fit to the bore to center the tool.

I taped sandpaper on the cutting edge, starting with 220 and finishing with 400

I tried hand cutting the crown but it went slowly so I chucked the tool up in my drill. While running I shifted the handle of the drill every few seconds to another position to keep the pressure constant. I would go from 12 to 3 to 6 to 9 and back to 12. This tool cut an amazingly even crown.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 06:35:46 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline chamookman

Re: Crown Cutting Tool
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 03:57:36 am »
Nice job Eric  :-M ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 09:09:11 am »
Very clever thinking.
1’—>1’

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 01:32:01 pm »
Nifty idea!  If you need it, make it!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry